Dead x58: check. Dead i7: not sure yet

Status
Not open for further replies.

veedubfreak

Golden Master
Ok, so picked up a new board, and at least now i dont get a "short" light on my psu. So the board is definately dead. But, now that i have everything rebuilt, when i go to power up, i dont get a POST beep or any sort of confirmation that the board is booting. So what are the odds that the board took out my CPU also.

For the record, apparently my leak shorted a few of the chokes near the cpu. When i took everything apart you can definately see the scorch marks where the board shorted.

Ya, this power supply has the circuit protection built in, so if it detects a short it goes red. I went through and tested every possible connection on the rig, and the only time the short protection kicked in was when i had the 8 pin connected. Switched over to a p6t (microcenter no longer carries the evga x58 :( ) and everything works as it should. I press the power button, everything turns on like it should, but i dont get POST. So the only thing i can think of is that my cpu went with the board. Guess i'll be picking up a new i7 on the way home from work tommorow. Need to package up the board too and get that shipped off for repair too.

Stupid watercooling. It was only a matter of time until i did something stupid. Ah well, live and learn. So, how do you go about RMA'ing a cpu to intel?

hmm, hope it all comes back to getther for you.

had a similar problem when i had my nforce570 sli board with the pentium D and i had some crappy water cooling in it and it leaked from the CPU block and almost ruined my mobo but i swabbed it down in alcohol and it booted up perfectly :)

500 dollars later, and she's back to the living! Looks like i got a good chip too. VID at stock speed seems to be right around 1.05v :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom