AMD vs. Intel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
1) The Intel CPU's use the LGA socket rather then the PGA so you don't have to worry about broken/bent pins.
you shouldn't even need to physically replace the CPU in most cases, so it's basically a non-issue. The only thing it does is reduce the cost slightly for Intel.
2) Intel has been at 45NM longer then AMD and is moving down to 32NM
that doesn't mean anything in terms of quality.
3) My PC servicing Tech hates AMD because he got a bad batch of AMD CPU's in about 20 computers... BSOD like crazy and AMD wouldn't do anything about it.
I highly doubt the CPU would have caused that. My guess is the motherboard/chipset drivers. Remember, AMD didn't make their own chipsets before acquiring ATI.

I know Sis chipsets were pretty bad, and Via chipsets mediocre. Though at least Nvidia made some pretty nice chipsets for the K8 chips (Nforce3/Nforce4)

Now, AMD is making their own chipsets, and they moved the memory controller to the CPU die a long time ago.

Though one interesting point I think is that Intel, being a much bigger company, can afford to build a lot of fabs. So it doesn't matter as much to them if their dies don't have as high yields. Whereas AMD needs to make the most of their fabs. So they have to focus on getting high yields.

Anyway, I think the Phenom II's have the best value out of the quads.
The 940 BE tends to keep up well with the Q9550, and is priced around the level of the Q9400. And it overclocks really well too.
The i7's are faster, but are expensive, and require an expensive board, as well as higher priced DDR3 RAM (though DDR3 RAM is coming down in price, and is getting closer to DDR2)
For gaming, there will be little benifit overall with an i7.

Intel isn't higher quality than AMD, I have no idea what you're talking about there. AMD used to beat the crap out of intel for a while until they got their act together. Now, on a budget, you can't beat AMD.

That being said, the intel build is fine.

Maybe not "higher quality" but definitely faster;)

Maybe not "higher quality" but definitely faster;)

That depends on what chips your comparing to others, the same with anything else. The i7 chips are obviously the fastest on the market, no question. But that doesn't mean you should never buy AMD, especially when you don't have 1500 bucks to spend on a brand new machine.

ok thanks ! is that case big enough for a cpu fan? i plan on oc a little bit.. probably take it to 2.7-3 ghz if possible.. i never have before and i donno about the mother board either, the reviews on newegg are nothign but bad?

The case will be big enough for an aftermarket heatsink but you will probably have to remove the side air duct.

you shouldn't even need to physically replace the CPU in most cases, so it's basically a non-issue. The only thing it does is reduce the cost slightly for Intel..

You also don't have to worry abut ripping the cpu out of the socket with lga 775. Granted most people don't take their coolers off that ofter but when you do it's better if the process doesn't involve prying the cpu off the bottom of the hsf after it pulled the cpu out of the socket.

The LGA 775 still uses pins... they are on the mobo instead of the chip. They can still be bent and broke. ;)

The LGA 775 still uses pins... they are on the mobo instead of the chip. They can still be bent and broke. ;)

its a litle harder. they arent pins as much as they are folded gold tabs lol. i apreciated them alot when i whent to intel, i disliked the pins on my 4000+ lapping would be a nightmare. also with my socket 939 build i pulled the cpu out of the socket almost everytime i took my hsf off.

i gotta get my 2 cents in if it isnt too late.

in general, intel is ahead of amd in performance.

but it really comes down to your budget.

*if you have unlimited cash flow, i7 rig is the way to go
*if you have 250-350 for cpu alone, go with intel (i7 or c2q)
*if you have 200-250 for cpu alone, you have a few options
a) q9400 by intel, this is a very nice cpu on the 775 board
b) phenom II 940 by amd, again, very nice cpu on the am2+ board
c) wait for the phenom II 955 to launch for the am3 board, altho this may be more than 250, but we dont know yet.
*if you have 150-200 for cpu alone, again you have a few options
a) q6600 by intel, these are older but still very nice if you can find a good batch #
b) phenom II 920 by amd, this can almost match the phenom II 940, but with the multi locked, that makes it a lil harder to reach the high OC's. This uses a am2+ board
c) e8400/e8500 by intel, these OC like monsters but still dual cores, and still very nice.
*if you have 100-150 for cpu alone, i think your best bet would be to go with the phenom II x3 720. its currently $135 and it screams bang for buck, while having better performance @ stock speeds than the e8000 series and can still overclock pretty darn well. this uses the am3 board
*if your budget is less than 100, you cant go wrong with either of these below
a)e5300 by intel on the 775 board
b)x2 7750 by amd on the am2+ board
both of these chips are great bang for the buck and will provide enough punch for 95% of the computer users today imo.
*if you have less than 50 to spend on a cpu alone, i suggest you save up your money or get your priorities in order.

its a litle harder. they arent pins as much as they are folded gold tabs lol. i apreciated them alot when i whent to intel, i disliked the pins on my 4000+ lapping would be a nightmare. also with my socket 939 build i pulled the cpu out of the socket almost everytime i took my hsf off.

i did that when building my x2 6400 machine last january. pulled the heatsink/fan off and the cpu came out with it even tho it was locked in, it bent about 20% of the pins, spent a good hour or so using a mag. glass and a pocket knife fixing it.
i was sweating horridly doing the job because i had spent my last dime on the other parts and i needed to get the rig up and running lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom