Why is my CPU so hot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhcp

Banned
I have a good, functional CPU cooler, good thermal paste, good airflow throughout my case, but my CPU, under 0-5% load for some reason just(suddenly) rocketed to 120F under 0 load\, and 140-150F under 50-100% load. Yes, the CPU fan is properly connected, and yes the fan is currently spinning at full speed. How can I reduce the temps.
P.S. I underclocked the CPU below its standard 3.2GHz and it's still amazingly hot.

EDIT: Ambient case Air temp = 120F (NOT GOOD!)
Something must be horribly wrong!
EDIT: HDD TEMPS OVER 100C!!! this must be bad...

what program are you using to monitor temps?
Just for ease you are at 49C idle and 60 to 65C under load.

what program are you using to monitor temps?
Just for ease you are at 49C idle and 60 to 65C under load.
But the cpu only takes 160F b4 exploding >_>
using NVIDIA monitor, and hard drive monitor, the temps must be correct bcuz i put my hand in my case and it felt REALLY hot in there.

71C will not cause your computer to explode but it is hotter than you would like.

First I would double check temps with real temp. Real Temp - CPU temperature monitoring

Try running for a bit with the case open to see if that helps. You could clean up your wiring a bit to help promote airflow.

If they are still that high I would pull your heatsink and clean and reapply thermal paste.

What thermal paste are you using?

71C will not cause your computer to explode but it is hotter than you would like.

First I would double check temps with real temp. Real Temp - CPU temperature monitoring

Try running for a bit with the case open to see if that helps. You could clean up your wiring a bit to help promote airflow.

If they are still that high I would pull your heatsink and clean and reapply thermal paste.

What thermal paste are you using?
Arctic silver thermal 5, and btw what's a bad temperature for an HDD, bcuz when mine is @ full load it gets to be 92-95ºC

Error:
The processor detected is not supported.
realtemp^

as5 is good tx-2 is a little better.

I am not current on hd temps so I will not hazard a guess as to what would be considered high.

cimg0313.jpg

I would also try to move all of the psu cables that are in front of your heatsink fan to help air flow.

What direction is you fan on you heatsink blowing. Is is sending air to the back of the case or to the front?

Do you have intake fans in the front of the case and is the fan in the back acting as an exhaust?

You don't have good airflow. If I recall you posted your motherboard and the wire management was awful.

But the cpu only takes 160F b4 exploding >_>
using NVIDIA monitor, and hard drive monitor, the temps must be correct bcuz i put my hand in my case and it felt REALLY hot in there.

As long as your cpu is under 80C there's nothing to really worry about. Sure it's not ideal, but it'll survive.

I'm more worried about your heatsink installation. Take your heatsink off, clean off all the thermal paste with some isopropyl alcohol and then reinstall the heatsink. Use an amount of arctic silver equal to about half a pea. Any more than that and you are seriously hindering the heat transfer.

unsuccessful-troll.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom