My Computer Doesn't Like DVD Burners?

Status
Not open for further replies.

k0rana

Baseband Member
I have had this problem ever since about 2003. Before 2003, my computer had a DVD-ROM drive and a CD burner. Everything worked fine for a year. At 2003, I decided to add in a DVD burner. Three months later, my hard drive stopped working. So I replaced the hard drive thinking it was faulty. Three months later again, my new hard drive broke.

So then I thought maybe it's the DVD burner that's the problem. So I removed the DVD burner from my computer. Six months later, everything worked fine. So I thought maybe this particular DVD burner is flawed. I bought a new DVD burner. Three months later my hard drive broke. I moved the DVD burner to a different computer. Everything worked fine for that computer.

So today I decide to ask for online help. Does my computer really hate DVD writers? Is there any way to fix this?

are you putting the dvd and hdd on the same IDE cable and power suppply "cord"?

very odd, i've never heard of that happening, i doubt it's the dvd drive though.

Something else is seriously wrong in that machine. DVD drives can't cause that.

What are your full system specs?

Something else is seriously wrong in that machine. DVD drives can't cause that.

What are your full system specs?

A friend built my computer with these specs:

CPU: AMD Athlon XP +1800
Memory: 2 x 512MB
Motherboard: MB VIAK T333 6P1A3D KX7 - 333R ABIT
Sound Card: Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum EX
Video Card: ATI Radeon 8500 LE 128MB
Hard Drive (all PATA): 80GB IBM, 160GB Seagate, 300GB Seagate (These are swapped in and out; I connect two hard drives at a time.)

Is this enough information for you?

I'd also like to clarify on what I mean by a "broken" hard drive. As in after I tried to reformat, it won't let me save any files onto it. Or it won't let me reformat at all (something to do with a controller error). Or I get a blue screen of death (something to do with a kernel stack inpage error). Or the booting hard drive won't load Windows XP and stays in DOS mode. Stuff like that.

well... it could simply be power management issues... maybe it's a cheap one that's dumping either too much power or it's "dirty" (noise/interference and unstable voltage) that would do the trick. HDD are more sensitive than ODD because of the precision and complexity of the device.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom