requirements for running a pelt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just because someone gets great temps with a certain setup does not mean anyone with the same processor can. Chips are all different.

Even still, you'll need to use a special water block with the tec because just putting it between your block and your cpu would crush it.

You'd need something like this.

Petra's Tech Shop

Note how it has an extra copper plate that holds the peltier in place without subjecting it to the large pressure required between the block and cpu.

Even with something like that, your looking at a good $200 easy. Plus that loop will now be too hot to cool any other components.

You'll also need to worry about condensation around the cpu socket and you will have to insulate it to prevent shorts.

are pelts really that weak? would it be crushed even if i were to adjust the screws securing the bock to suit the pelt + cold plate?

ya i would pack the socket with neoprene to prevent shorts

are pelts really that weak? would it be crushed even if i were to adjust the screws securing the bock to suit the pelt + cold plate?

ya i would pack the socket with neoprene to prevent shorts

I'm saying that if all you did was throw a pelt between the water block and the cpu it would be crushed.

The blocks needs a cold-plate that is held in place with bolts to ensure the pressure is not too great.

I've talked to a few guys that have ran pelts in the past. I had the chance to grab a free one, I can't remember what one though, it was about a year ago. I wouldn't recommend running one. Maybe for a day or so, just to see what it can do. But with the cooling required to run one, the power they require, and the heat they put out, it's not really effective to run one 24/7.

Much better off putting the money you would spend on one into a WC loop or hardware. Unless of course you want to specifically run exotic cooling and tinker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom