Core 2 or Quad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eipnvn

Baseband Member
So I'm thinking about a new system and can't decide between a higher end Core 2 Duo (e7400 or 8400) or a Quad core. What would you guys suggest? Am I better off going for a similarly priced Quad core processor or stick with the Core 2? Thanks!

A similarly priced quad (to the E8400) would be either the Q6600 and the Q8200, both of which I wouldn't recommend. Especially the Q8200. If you're gaming, I would just grab an E8400.

Not heavy gaming or real intense video editing, just light gaming and the occasional home video that needs edited. Otherwise just general use. Sorry, should have included that...

Hi, figured I'd piggy back on this thread because I'm looking to build a new computer after surviving gaming on a laptop for the last 4 years. Anyways, I'm at a dilemma over whether using a core 2 duo versus some form of quad core. I'll be building a machine in the 1000-1500$ range for gaming.

I realize an E8500 will operate the best for modern games with the high processing speeds, but as the software catches up with the quad cores, won't it make sense to buy a quad core system with slower cores and just upgrade the processor later on as opposed to the mobo/cpu/RAM etc? I too have been out of the computer building business for a few years so bear with me.

Thanks a bunch

After doing LOTS of reading here and elsewhere, it seems as though you'd be better off going with the e8500. By the time software catches up to quad cores my guess would be that enough else will have changed by then that you'll probably want to upgrade the other components as well anyway. Of course that all depends on how frequently you plan on updating the system.

Hi, figured I'd piggy back on this thread because I'm looking to build a new computer after surviving gaming on a laptop for the last 4 years. Anyways, I'm at a dilemma over whether using a core 2 duo versus some form of quad core. I'll be building a machine in the 1000-1500$ range for gaming.

I realize an E8500 will operate the best for modern games with the high processing speeds, but as the software catches up with the quad cores, won't it make sense to buy a quad core system with slower cores and just upgrade the processor later on as opposed to the mobo/cpu/RAM etc? I too have been out of the computer building business for a few years so bear with me.

Thanks a bunch

With your budget go I7 quad and start your own thread so that we can help you out :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom