how do i? im new please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

viperfan1987

Solid State Member
ok i have an old compaq presario, the hard drive is almost full and i want to add second internal one. the second one is out of a computer i already have and it has nothing i need oe want on it. i need to learn how to erase everything on it and install it as a slave on my computer. can somebody please help me out with step by step instructions PLEASE!!! and the hd is an ide

Ok first you need to make sure you have the right type of connection for the HD, it should be either a e-sata cable, pata cable or ribbon cable. you then plug it in, along with the power cable, and boot your computer.
then you go to My Computer in your start menu, and look for your new drive that you just connected. right click on it and select format. formatting the hard drive will erase all of its current files. when it says what type of file system you want to format it in, select NTFS (windows nt file system) much grater security and features then a fat, fat32, or vfat file system. click format, wait for it to format and you should have a completely new hard drive for extra storage.

Once the drive is installed you can format the drive within windows to erase the information.

Open my computer. Right mouse click on the drive in question. Select format and follow instructions.

Make absolutely sure you select the correct drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom