Help with my new Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the extra 25$ I definitely like the Biostar. The reviews look like they have had some problems, but you can't have everything. (The rebate will actually make this cheaper).

However, looking at the board itself, it almost looks like the Vid card would be tall enough to hit the RAM, or long enough to block the port on the end?

I'm good to use the case and HD I already picked out earlier?

Anyone know of a use for PCI-x-1?

I've got the board, the master pci-e is actually on the bottom. With the dual slot gpu you do cover up one of the pci lanes. no lenght problems or height problems for me though.

So the pic on Newegg is wrong?

I'm sorry my terminology is very good. Does that mean that the PCI x-16 slot is at the bottom, and that when I put in the double wide card it covers a standard PCI slot? Or a PCI x-1?

Thank you

You can use PCI-e x1 slots for most any type of add-on card i.e. sound card (some), wireless card, extra usb slots and many other things. They aren't there for no reason.

Thresh, I'm glad you pointed out that there was absolutely no reason for him to have 8gb. I see alot of things like that go unmentioned and I think they should always be pointed out because we not only want to help people build a good computer but to teach them too so they can help others in the future.

8GB is completely useless unless you do HD video editing or lots of 3D CAD work with high polygon counts and stuff like that.

Also, you should really consider getting a better case. A lot of people seem to think the case is just whatever and that they are all the same... WRONG. Cheap cases are built, well... cheaply. They can be frustrating to work with, have poor airflow, can be damaged easily, can be loud, and are usually ugly (more of a personal thing but I think that flashy 'gamer' cases get old really really fast.) Good cases can last you through many builds. They will be easier to work with, they will most likely have better airflow, and will be built with solid components and materials instead of just a bunch of plastic. Think of it like putting an incredible Ferrari engine, suspension, wheels, drivetrain, etc. under a Ford Taurus body with racing stripes and flames on the side with some silly fat noisy exhaust. Thats just dumb. The case is a very important part of your build. I'm not saying go get a $350 case, just have higher expectations for it. At the very minimum get an Antec 300.

Thank you for the input.

For the case:

What would you recommend? I know it's silly, but I actually do want the flashy gamer case. This is (obviously) the first computer I have built, and I am a bit partial to the blue LED interior look. I was told that the one I have would be sufficient in terms of air flow, due to the 2x120mm fans and the 140. And sizing doesn't seem to be an issue.

I'm open to ideas, or suggestions. It's just this case seems sufficient for my needs, as far as my knowledge goes.

For the RAM:

I work in the rapid prototyping lab (3D printer) at my school, so I do work with Catia on a regular basis. As I get further along I should be using it more and more. So I think I will keep the RAM where it's at.

I am not big on the flashy gamer cases so I don't research them too much but I would recommend one of these. I have heard good things about them.

Newegg.com - NZXT TEMPEST Crafted Series CS-NT-TEM-B Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

Newegg.com - NZXT LEXA Blackline Series CS-NT-LEXA-BLB Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

this one is a bit more expensive but a lot of people like it
Newegg.com - Antec Nine Hundred Two Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

My personal choice, setting aside price would be one of these

Newegg.com - LIAN LI PC-V2110B Black Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases
Newegg.com - LIAN LI PC-P80 Black Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

but they are really expensive (which is the reason I don't own one lol)

As for RAM, I was a student in 3D animation/VFX until I switched majors and I used 3DS Max and Maya a lot and I never encountered a situation where I needed that much ram. I don't know that program you mentioned but I did a little quick research on their site and I couldn't find their specific hardware requirements so I guess it would be safe to just stick with 8gb. Are you going to be doing more gaming or Catia work on this though?

Thank you guys for your help.

I need to get to bed, I'm not coherent enough to look at cases now and make a good decision.

To be completely honest, I can see why those other cases are nice (Antec 300), but my case seems to have the same specs. 3 good fans, a little bit more space, good reviews, what am I missing?

As for the RAM, this machine will be used mostly for gaming. But I will also be processing detailed air and space craft models on it, and with any luck doing CFD (computational fluid dynamics) on those models. While 8gb of RAM is probably still a bit of overkill, for 50$ extra it makes me feel a bit better.

The main thing I am concerned with in the Mother board, if the picture is not correct on Newegg, what should I do? Just get the 2 PCI x-16 and hope that I don't lose a PCI slot?

I have a sound card and auxiliary video card I was gonna put in those spots. (I have 3 monitors, 22" wide, 19" wide, and 17" square). I was gonna run the 22 and 19 to the new card, and have the 17 on an old ATI for just basic internet browsing.

Sorry if I sound rude about the Cases, I'm just very confused, and a bit tired. I really do appreciate all the help from everyone.

Alright , so you're building a computer. The internal components are sensitive and expensive. You will most likely want to open it from time to time to clean it , look at it , do wire management , etc... You probably will have to move it occasionally , too.
Anything you do , from opening the front , to carrying it , is going to cause wear and tear.
These guys here have lots of experience regarding cases and they know what falls apart and what holds up over time. Get whatever you want , we don't care. Just remember that this is THE CAGE THAT PROTECTS YOUR BABY!

Oh , yeah , trust these guys over Newegg reviewers EVERYTIME!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom