Intel launches new chip logos, rating system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trotter

Grandfather of Techist, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff member
Source: Intel launches new chip logos, rating system | Nanotech - The Circuits Blog - CNET News

Intel has revamped its processor badging and rating system. Consumers are the main target, though business systems will get new badging too.

The new badges include a die (the chip minus the packaging) accent in the upper right hand corner, a prominent main brand (e.g., "Core"), and the modifier (e.g., "i7").

Intel has also instituted a star system that rates chips from five stars (best performance in class) to one star (lowest performance). "So when a consumer goes into a Best Buy store they can distinguish between Centrino, Core, Celeron, Core 2 Duo, Core 2 Quad," said Intel spokesman Bill Calder.

That may be a little easier said than done, however. Some consumers (but not including "tech savvy" Giampaolo, of course) will still need help from the sales person to decipher the badging. A daunting challenge in the case of consumer laptops, which are typically plastered with a hodgepodge of stickers from Intel, Nvidia, Advanced Micro Devices, AMD's ATI graphics chip unit, and other companies.

Intel is in the process of moving to a "pretty aggressive brand simplification plan," Calder said. "When we launched Core i7, we said we're moving to a single primary client brand, which is Core. We're moving in that direction," he said.

The Atom processor will not get a modifier. In the future, the Nehalem server processor, currently branded only as "Xeon" with a letter and number suffix, may also get new branding to make it more readily identifiable as part of the Nehalem architecture like its desktop sibling the Core i7, Calder said.

intel-badging-2.jpg

intel-badging-stars-rating-system_610x333.jpg

They look kinda nifty.

So they're all going to be called Core now? I guess it's kinda...almost the same as they were doing before...

The old ones were nifty, the only thing I don't like about these are the chips showing, but they still look alright.

I think it's the color scheme of the die that throws me off. If they had different colors, it would be cool.

The Atom/Celeron/Pentium/Inside logos look the best with the blue die...too bad they all couldn't be like that.

i think the i7 extreme edition looks the best. then the centrino one looks pretty good too. the core 2 ones look the worst. i wish they hadent done teh die part, or changed the color.

Fair enough, the extreme one does look pretty sweet, since it has the black on it. Oh well, what can you do. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom