Thinking of buying a q8200 but how can I find the max fsb of a motherboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dario03

Fully Optimized
Was thinking of buying a q8200 since their on sale but they only come with a 7x multiplier and I would want at least 3.5ghz out of it. Problem is my current cpu won't go past 375fsb but I'm pretty sure thats the limit of the cpu and not the motherboard. Using a multiplier I have tested my ram to be good for at least 475 but thats just the ram and not the motherboard speed right?

IIRC abit ip35-E boards were known for hitting over 500fsb but I never could find anything on the ip35-V.

So anybody know how I could test the limits or know a average overclock for the ip35-v and q8200?

Yeah I wasn't expecting greatness but there are some air cooled q8200 chips at ~3.5ghz. Though it looks like I would also need a better cooler so I'll probably pass. But still anybody know about the max fsb thing? Only way I know how to find it is by using a lower multiplier and raise the fsb but my cpu hits a wall at ~375fsb...

The Q8200 are slow, they were supposed to replace the Q6600, but have half the cache and a real low multiplier. You're better off going with an Q9300/Q9400.

my q9300 has a 7x multi and i can hit 500FSB on my board with 4GB of ram :D and i run it at 480FSB daily :)

but dont get the q8200, go for a q6600 at the least or if you can shell out a few more bucks then get a q9400.

Well I was only considering a quad because Microcenter had the q8200 for $99 at their B&M stores. I missed out on the deals they had on the q9300 and q6600. But I think I'll just wait for other deals to come by. Like maybe go cheap and get a e5xxx or e7xxx or maybe a better quad if its cheap. I really only need a small boost in cpu performance and my computer will basically be good for me for a good while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom