Overclocking the Core i7 920

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ran 5 tests with the Intel Burn Test and it passed them all with no errors. I'll run another 5-10 before I shut it down for the night.

I found this on another forum -

Maximum allowed temperature for Core i7 is 100°C. If it heats up more, the CPU will enable thermal throttling, i.e. the Vcore and clock frequency multiplier will be forced down to 12x. This feature protects the processor die against dangerous overheating. (source - X-Bit labs)

Source:
Code:
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=595117

My temps were fluctuating from 50c-65c. I really have no need to overclock, seeing as I only play COD4 and COD5 and don't need any extra speed. I just wanted to find out how far I could push it without running into problems.

Show some shots of you OC and Intel Burn Test, along with temps from Real temp. Also, make sure in real temp the TJmax is set to 100 otherwise you wont be getting the right results.

I just find it a little hard to believe your only getting 65C max @ 3.8Ghz in IBT on stock cooling. My CPU gets up to 75C or more at that speed and i have an aftermarket cooler.

I don't know how many they will allow, but here are 8 screenshots taken at different intervals while the test was being run. My cpu fan set at 20%. The CPU load never went higher than 50%.

ss1qbh.jpg

ss2ppj.jpg

ss3ncz.jpg

ss4l.jpg

ss5paj.jpg

ss6q.jpg

ss7g.jpg

ss8y.jpg

Thats not full load then, u want all the cores to be stressed, physical and logical...temps are considerably lower if it doesn't use hyperthreading or not fully loaded

looks like a very promising chip tho, i7 really shines with dual graphics

Well, I dropped it back to the stock speed of 2.66ghz. It's plenty fast for what I do, without needing to overclock it. I was only wanting to see how far I could push it and still be stable. 3.8ghz was as high as I chose to go.

most i7 chips can past 4GHz with relative ease, just cooling it is hard, it can definitely take voltages up to 1.4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom