Okay...IDE..PATA..SATA....WTF?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, ATA=PATA=IDE. The size of the drive will dictate what form of IDE. In this case, the ATA-6 have a different connector than normal IDE, which will fit in a laptop.

But I'm not trying to FIT this in a laptop, I'm trying to fit it in the Above Media Player. I really hope your right, I'm about to buy the 160GB Seagte or the western Digital, thanks for your help....... if your right... :)

Before you buy the drive, post up a pic of the connector on your media player. Then I or someone else can make sure you're buying the right drive.

2.5" PATA drives aren't that common anymore, because the 2.5" SATA drives ave just so much better (at the same prices, heck sometimes even cheaper)

A lot of the manufacturer's are cutting down on the sizes for IDE these days. Like seagate is only producing 160Gb IDE Drives. It's only going to be a matter or time before other manufacturers do the same. Like most of the PATA drive I keep in stock at work for the last 12 months seems to get used on service jobs as I am working on a PC that has no SATA ports.

Right now, you might find that your local computer store is not stocking IDE drives due to lack of demand. Say in about 12-24 months time most of the manufactures would of stop producing IDE Drives. However i do see a market where they might continue to produce IDE Laptop drives for about another 3 more years as I still come accross a lot of notebooks that are still using the older technology. SATA only became more commen with notebooks in about the last 2 years. And the problem with notebooks is that we can not put in any additional IO Card to convert IDE to SATA.

IDE is dead.

Before you buy the drive, post up a pic of the connector on your media player. Then I or someone else can make sure you're buying the right drive.

Thanks soulphire, Here's some PICS, up close it took them kinda blury, but I hope you'll be able to recognize. I'm even going to post one of the HDD that I thought would work, but you'll see it doesn't fit...

Thanks again. I haven't bought the drive yet...

Attachments

• P1030419.JPG
    P1030419.JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 77
  • P1030421.JPG
    P1030421.JPG
    64 KB · Views: 75
  • P1030422.JPG
    P1030422.JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 77
Man those PICS, are horrible, let me know if you need clearer pictures.... Thanks again.,.

yep, the group of pins on the right are the power pins, and the group on the left are the data pins. I'm not sure where you read that you'd need a PATA drive for that, but that connection most definitely is SATA.

good thing you didn't buy that other drive :) only other thing is be careful you don't accidentally get an external drive. While that wouldn't be catastrophic, you would be spending more for something you won't use.

yep, the group of pins on the right are the power pins, and the group on the left are the data pins. I'm not sure where you read that you'd need a PATA drive for that, but that connection most definitely is SATA.

good thing you didn't buy that other drive :) only other thing is be careful you don't accidentally get an external drive. While that wouldn't be catastrophic, you would be spending more for something you won't use.

Yea, Like Charles said that's what New egg Specs says for the Media player, Which leads me to beleive that all the customer comments are a bunch of Bull, because if they really bought it from New egg, and bought the PATA drive that Newegg says it need, then that would be something in the comments.

But thanks gentlemen, i appreicate it. I'm positive it is SATA, that's what through me for the loop. It says it needs PATA, so I'm looking for HDD's that have connections like the one's in the Media player, and that wasn't what I was finding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom