Case Recommendations and PSU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackmoore

Daemon Poster
I need some help choosing a case, and I need to know whether the PSU I am looking at will be enough to power my system. I know its hard to recommend a case because it usually depends on personal preference, but the main thing I am worried about is size. Here is the system I am going to be building next week:

AMD X3 720 or AMD X4 940 (Haven't yet decided)
BIOSTAR TFORCE TA790GX 128M AM2+/AM2 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop
eVGA GeForce GTX 260 Core 216
CORSAIR 550W ATX12V V2.2 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC
Samsung 640GB SATA Hard Drive
Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit edition

That's basically the system minus a DVD-RW Drive and fans . . .

Will that 550 Watt PSU be enough to power the system? Second is the case. I really don't have any personal preferences other than the fact that I would like it to be a Mid-Tower, have a window, and be large enough to fit a GTX 260. One of the cases I looked at was a Lian-Li Aluminum Case for $99, but I don't really want to spend that much money if I don't have too. Any recommendations?

I used to have a full tower case with the neon black lights and the florescent fans, but I'm not into that so much anymore. I really like that Thermaltake case, I might end up going with that one.

I use the Thermaltake M9 case and it provides excellent airflow. I have 2 4850s in there now and it is doable. I don't know the size difference between a gtx 260 and a Sapphire HD4850, but my cards fit fine. It is also deep enough to fit a monster heat sink like the 120 Core Contact Freezer if you ever want to add something like that later on.

The M9 has two 120mm fans and is very silent. I have my 2 HD4850 fans, 2 120mm case fans, an additional 90mm side panel fan, and the 120mm CCF. This case is SILENT.

EDIT:
Oh, and you can see someone's review on newegg about using a GTX 260 with the M9:
Reviewed By: on 9/15/2008

Pros: Plenty of room for a mid tower case. Fit my GTX260 without problems. Looks very nice and has plenty of cooling. Keeps everything cool. No problems with the quick clips.
Cons: Not really a con, but to add another GTX260, I will need to relocate the hard drive bay. Not a big deal, just something to keep in mind.
Other Thoughts: This thing is keeping an overclocked system cool. E8500, GTX260.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom