CPU @ 50% Usage

Status
Not open for further replies.

RaXoR

Solid State Member
I have an Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 3.16GHz and was installing a game today. I expected it to be extracting files faster than it was so I did a Ctrl+Alt+Delete in XP Home to see what the CPU usage was. It was hovering around 50%. Is this normal or should it have been at 100%?

When installing it shouldnt matter what game or does it support dual core...Only thing that should limit you would be the read speed of the drive its loading from or the write speed of your hard drive!!

Most new processors are going to outperform the read of the disk. Storage is the bottleneck of most pcs these days.

I read this as the install program is only running at 50%, so 1 core, not 100% as he expected from his dual.

I'm thinking, old game, older install program which isn't dual core setup.

Or just the install isn't dual core optimized.

okay, I was under the impression that he didn't even expect it to take 50% - the only time I'd expect to see a processor pegged (even if it's just one core) is when you're doing load intensive things like processing video or compressing/unpacking large archives like with WinRAR.

I'm going to have to say that its pretty normal that an install doesn't use 100% of your cpu. There are many other things your cpu could/is doing during that install.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom