My first build (need opinions)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mray183

Solid State Member
So I have decided to build my first computer. I have a budget of about 600-700 dollars. I would prefer to stay on the low end of that range. I want a computer that can handle most games out there quite easily, but it does not need to be a monster. Here is what I have thus far:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 7750 Kuma 2.7GHz Socket AM2+ 95W Dual-Core black edition Processor Model AD775ZWCGHBOX - Retail

JetWay JHA06-GT-LF AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail (is this compatible with the processor? I think it is but not positive)

SAPPHIRE 100245L Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail

Crucial 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model CT2KIT25664AA800 - Retail

CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Retail

Western Digital Caviar SE WD3200AAJS 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

LITE-ON Black SATA DVD-ROM Drive Model iHDS118-04 - OEM (I have no need for DVD-RW)

COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP Black SECC/ ABS ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail (I hear that the PSU on the bottom helps with cooling... true?)

My total is $585 right now. Like I said, I want something that can stand up to demanding games, but I do not need to be blown out of my seat when I play. Thanks for any input.

Links would be nice, or at least prices. I can't tell if I'm saving you money or not. :p
That graphics card is a good choice, although if you have leftover money, I'd put it into the card. Maybe look at the new 4890, which is generally $100 more.

I would change the RAM for: Newegg.com - G.SKILL HK 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

I might also try getting an x2 or x3 processor instead of the athlon 64, but I'm not that knowledgeable on AMD, so I'm sure someone else will have a better idea.
Perhaps: Newegg.com - AMD Phenom 8450 Toliman 2.1GHz 3 x 512KB L2 Cache 2MB L3 Cache Socket AM2+ 95W Triple-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

Thank you for the suggestions

Trotter your build is quite nice, especially for only ~40 dollars more.

Just so I am aware, the 1gb 4830 will out perform the 512 4850 (seems reasonable, I'm just overwhelmed with all the different cards)?

The 1GB 4830 would be about the same as the 4850 with the 4850 slightly faster at stock. Both cards utilize the same cooler, so you could overclock the 4830 very easily. The price difference is only $20, but I would go with the 4830 for the memory and just bump it up.

Cool, thank you very much.

After some thought, I think I will go with that rig. I forgot about the OS... so there's another 99 bucks. Oh well, something you gotta have.

One last question, this one includes a specific example. I want to be able to play Crysis Warhead. After watching some youtube videos of the 4830's performance, it seems like it will be quite capable of good performance. My question: what is considered good frame rates? I've heard anywhere from 40-60. Can I achieve those frame rates with the 4830? I am assuming if I can it will be not much more than 40 fps. I do not plan on overclocking the card... I'm just not comfortable doing that myself.

Thank you once again for all the help!

-Mray

You should be able to run in the 40-60 range. It will depend on the resolution you are using (the higher the resolution the bigger the impact on FPS) and on the graphics settings.

Crysis Warhead is much easier on cards than Crysis, and I was able to find Crysis benchmarks of up to 40 FPS on the 4830.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom