Need a New Video Card for HP Pavilion Desktop PC AMD Phenom X4 9550 QuadCore

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcmic

Solid State Member
Hi

I recently purchased the following system:

HP Pavilion Desktop PC featuring AMD Phenom X4 9550 QuadCore from Best Buy.

5GB PC2-6400 (Exp. To 8GB)

750GB 7200RPM SATA

nVIDIA GeForce 9300GE - 256MB

Came with Windows Vista Home Premium 64-Bit SP1 (I went back to XP as I didn't like Vista at all)

I bought it on impulse as my computer had just died and it was a good deal at the time. I now need to upgrade the graphics card.

What I am hoping is someone here can recommend a good card for me that will work with this system. I went looking for a card and found most don't work as this system only has a 350W power supply. I may also need a reccomendation for a new power supply.

From what I can tell there seem to be enough room in the case for the card.

Any advice you guys can offer will be appreciated.

Cheers
Craig

What is a PSU? Since I just bought this thing a few months ago I don't want to have to replace a lot of stuff.

The case is 14"(H) X 14"(D) X 7.5"(W).

The card in it is about 7" long.

I don't need a really high end card just something better than what is in it. WHat is the best this system will hold?

350W won't power much of a card, I am afraid.

Bottom line, what is your budget?

HP - Pavilion Desktop with AMD Phenom™ X4 9550 Quad-Core Processor - a6720y Is this it?

This case model doesnt come with the 9550, and best card offered is the 9300.

However, the model that does have the 9550 can go up to a 9500 bor 4350.

What you need to dso is open the side and get the Amps on the 12Vs, Its all on this label:
17-139-006-03.jpg

Then we can really help

It looks like the 12V has 18amps. Does this make sense?

I also see max power 350watts.

I have a reasonable budget to put in a bigger power supply and a decent card if I can find one that will work.

Reasonable = $???

Not trying to be difficult, but we need to be able to balance the cost of the PSU and GFX card inside what you want to spend. There are plenty of great cards available in all price ranges, we just need to know which price range.

Fair enough.

For me reasonable is around $400 for card and power supply. I play mostly RPG's. Currently playing Drakensang and patiently waiting for Dragon Quest. No FPS, MMO's, or racing games. Keep the high end graphic games for the Xbox 360.

Let me know if you need more info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom