AMD vs. Intel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dumpy

In Runtime
is there a main difference in performance were as the prices of intels are insane.. is that because of quality/something im missing here or is it mainly because of the Intel name?

C2D = Core 2 duo
C2Q = Core 2 quad

Intel's C2D beats AMD Athlon X2's and beats there Phenom X3's
AMD's Phenom II X3's beat Intels C2D but does not beat Intels C2Q
AMD's Phenom X4's are horrible quad cores, stay away from those.
Intel's C2Q are about equal to AMD's Phenom II X4's
Intel's Core i7 beats any AMD CPU but it is also the most expensive CPU. The i7 CPU uses Tri-channel DDR3 memory and currently the only available motherboard you can use with them are X58 motherboards which are quite expensive.

C2Q and C2D use LGA 775 as a socket (Intel)
Core i7 uses LGA 1366 as a socket (Intel)
AMD's Athlon X2's use Socket AM2 And AM2+ (both compatible with each other)
AMD's Phenom X3's and Phenom X4's use socket AM2+ but will work in socket AM2
AMD's Phenom II X4 uses socket AM2+ but will work in socket AM2
AMD's Phenom II X3 uses socket AM3 but will work in socket AM2+ and AM2.

If you are looking into overclocking Intel's 45NM CPU's overclock like mad, and AMD Phenom II's are also good overclockers.

IMO Intel beats out AMD for quality, but AMD has the best bang/Buck ratio.

If you do decided to go AMD it would be a good idea to stay away from the Phenom I CPU's.

Newegg.ca - Intel Pentium E5300 2.6GHz 2MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

is that a 45 mn your talking about? and roughly what can it go to? 3ghz? 3.5? can you give a rough estimate:p and compared to the two, witch is a better overclock that or Newegg.ca - AMD Athlon 64 X2 7750 Kuma 2.7GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache 2MB L3 Cache Socket AM2+ 95W Dual-Core black edition Processor - Processors - Desktops.. im new to the building and i want to oc my future rig but i want a solid idea of whats good and whats bad. dont plan on playing any heavy games either btw.

The e5300 will OC better then the 7750 (the 7750 is 65NM so more heat and more electricity). But there is more to OC then just the CPU, you need a good heatsink a good motherboard and good RAM to be able to get a good OC.

On the stock heatsink you could probably get it up to 3GHz with no issues but if you want to go any further I would get an aftermarket heatsink.

Clock per clock Intel's C2D beats the AMD Athlon X2. The e5300 will beat the 7750 at stock speeds; and the e5300 at stock speeds would probably beat the 7750 @ 3.2GHz.

Also the C2D uses 65W of power while the Athlon X2 uses 95W of power. So you could use a smaller PSU with the e5300 then the 7750 if you are looking to save power.

i know theres more to it lol but i dont wanna buy a cpu that dosnt OC well, just intel's so friggin expensive lol

The 7750 will overclock well (it has an unlocked multiplier BTW) but it wont OC nearly as high as the e5300 and the e5300 will be faster clock per clock.

Edit: 600 Posts :D

The C2Ds don't beat the x3 720 there buddy. It outperforms the E8400 by a decent bit, and is still a great overclocker. While the E8400/8500/8600 is probably one of the best overclocking CPUs, the 720 is right behind it. 3.9ghz on stock cooling is pretty sweet if you ask me. Not to mention the extra core for multitasking, and the fact that it's at least 20 bucks cheaper.

3.9ghz on stock cooling is pretty sweet if you ask me. Not to mention the extra core for multitasking, and the fact that it's at least 20 bucks cheaper.

You can take any cpu to high clocks on stock cooling, it just depends what temps you are willing to put up with. Also I doubt that clock was stable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom