HDD Stops my computer from booting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sydzy

In Runtime
So my main HDD a few days ago started playing up and apparently some windows files got corrupted, it was about 2-3 years old so not too fussed.

Bought a new HDD, installed Vista x64 on it (same as previously), and then proceeded to hook up the power and sata cable to my previous hard drive so I can take a few of my files on to my new hard drive.

I should note that I don't think the entire hard drive is stuffed, cause it was having errors for a few hours while I was still using the computer which would suggest something was wrong but parts, well most, was still working, but it refused to turn back on after a reboot.

Anyway, so they're both plugged in (both sata), boots up as per usual, goes to the vista loading screen, bar rolling across the bottom etc, then the screen goes black... and stays black. Doesn't turn off the computer, doesn't restart it, it'll just sit there black forever.

I'm wondering if there's any way that I can get my files off my old HDD? I don't have an external caddie to hook the HDD up and try use it as a USB. Also in BIOS the new HDD is top priority, the older one isn't even in the top 3 list.

Thanks,

Sydz

try using it in a different SATA port if possible, if that still doesn't work you might try a linux live distro like Knoppix to recover the data.

Have you messed with the boot order in the bios? It sounds like it is still trying to boot from the muffed drive, see if you can set it down in boot priority.

Yeah, that's what i thought too, but then i read this

Anyway, so they're both plugged in (both sata), boots up as per usual, goes to the vista loading screen, bar rolling across the bottom etc, then the screen goes black... and stays black. Doesn't turn off the computer, doesn't restart it, it'll just sit there black forever.

That sounds like a bad video driver to me. Can you get into Safe mode?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom