7800GTX sli power consumption

Status
Not open for further replies.

aj2003

Daemon Poster
I know its not technically high performance anymore, but i currently have a 7800gtx and its getting outdated now, however i cant afford to buy a new £100+ card at the moment. Ive been offered another 7800GTX for £10 so i could sli them, should give me a nice performance boost. My problem is i dont know whether my 480watt antex psu will be enough to run it?

Antec tend to be pretty good, and the rest of your system isn't much of a comparable draw.

The best specifications for the 7800GTX I could find are here:
* Single card requires min. 400W PSU with 12V rating of 26A
* SLI configuration requires min. 500W PSU with 12V rating of 34A
Your PSU has two 12V rails adding up to 34A, so my best guess is that it can probably run but I wouldn't trust it.

Wait and see what someone else says.

Hmmmmm.
I think youll be fine.... if not its only 10 pounds wasted which isnt a lot and if it doesnt work its not going to blow your PSU or anything.

Most requirements are pumped up to cover their asses.

Yeah...not even wasted, I don't know about what its like over there but i could get more than $20 for it here classified if i had to turn around and dump it because the psu couldn't support SLI.

Heck I will take it for £10. I have an old comp with a 7800gtx with a 550w PSU.

Would love to try it in sli.

This site recommends a quality 450w NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GTX (page 6: Graphic card, power consumption, noise) - BeHardware
And Tom's says they use about 343w NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GTX (page 6: Graphic card, power consumption, noise) - BeHardware
And this power supply calculator with a rough guesstimate of your system only recommends 383w. I wouldn't go that low, but I think their was a few guys running 4830's in crossfire on antec 380's but I don't know what the power consumption comparison would be eXtreme Outer Vision - eXtreme tools for computer enthusiasts

So I would think you would be ok though your probably draw more power with your setup. I use to run a card on a very overclocked machine with a psu that had 2 less amps than recommended for the card on a "average" computer.

I hope you have good airflow in your case, the 7800GTX is a pretty hot card. You should be fine power wise, though.

ive told my mate ill take it, should see him in a couple of days time to pick it up to see how it goes. ive been playing nfs undercover, should the sli give a decent increase in performance? im not sure what to play next since i dont like first person shooters or online games. im thinkin empire total war.

as far as air flow goes it should be fine, my cpu doesnt go above 25C regardless of how hard i push it.

25C wow. with 2 raptors running I would think your case gets pretty hot. I know I have 2 as well. I am jealous.

What do you use to cool that cpu? what kind of temps do you get if you run a stress test like prime95.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom