First Computer Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddutty

Solid State Member
Well, I am not actually building it myself, Cyberpower is... but I specified the parts I wanted. I was going to try to put it together myself, but the same components on NewEgg were about $500 more, and with this I get a 3 year warranty. So here it goes

*BASE_PRICE: [+995]
CAS: ($20 off Mail-in Rebate) Apevia X-SniperG Mid-Tower 420W Case [-27] (Black Color)
CS_FAN: Extra Case Cooling Fan [+3] (1 x Fan)
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-920 2.66 GHz 8M L3 Cache LGA1366
CD: (Special Price) LG 22X DVD+/-R/+/-RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE DUAL LAYER (Black Color)
FAN: Intel LGA1366 Certified CPU Fan & Heatsink
HDD: Single Hard Drive (500GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDD)
KEYBOARD: Logitech Deluxe 250 USB Keyboard (Black Color)
MOUSE: XtremeGear Optical USB 3 Buttons Gaming Mouse
MULTIVIEW: Xtreme Performance in SLI/CrossFireX Gaming Mode Supports Single Monitor
MOTHERBOARD: (3-Way SLI Support) Asus P6T Intel X58 Chipset SLI/CrossFireX Mainboard Triple-Channel DDR3/1600 SATA RAID w/ eSATA,GbLAN,USB2.0,IEEE1394a,&7.1Audio
MEMORY: 6GB (2GBx3) PC1333 DDR3 PC3 10666 Triple Channel Memory (Corsair or Major Brand)
NETWORK: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
POWERSUPPLY: 800 Watts Power Supplies [+44] (CyberPowerPC XF800S Performance ATX 2.0 Power - Quad SLI Ready)
RUSH: NO; READY TO SHIP IN 5~10 BUSINESS DAYS
SERVICE: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT
SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
USB: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports
VIDEOCAMERA: NONE
VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce GTX275 896MB 16X PCIe Video Card [+115] (Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA)

_PRICE: (+1130)
comes with free shipping, and I get a 5% discount

I got the SLI motherboard because at some point I want to throw in another video card and get a large, hi resolution screen, when I get the funds. I will also upgrade the power supply at that time, as this one only has 2x 6-pin connectors, and the GTX275 takes 2x 6-pin.

I added Windows Vista Home Basic 64-bit , but I'm going to call tomorrow and change it to premium since that is what a lot of the other posts on this site suggest I should do. I am also going to change the case to the Apevia X-Jupiter, since it is much bigger and can hold additional video cards. Is this a good choice on a case?

Any opinions or suggestions for changes? I am calling tomorrow to make some last minute changes before they start building it, and want to get everything right

Thanks!

Well, your case, keyboard and mouse are all personal touches.

From what I can see it comes to a pretty solid I7 machine.

What is it you are looking to play on it? And at what resolutions are you going to use for a 'hi resolution' screen. Are you talking LCD monitor with 1900 x 2850(I may be off) or LCD Television with HDMI ?

For right now I will be playing Fallout 3, maybe some WoW, and possibly some FPS games. I really haven't had a gaming computer before, and I want this one to run some games that are out now and be able to be easily upgraded for games coming out in coming months (particularly Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2)
I know Blizzard games are not too graphic intensive, but I still want to be able to have my options open to some of the better games.

And I will be buying a LCD TV with HDMI (upwards to 2560x1600) ... so I figured if I added another GTX275 later then it should be able to handle that hopefully, but that is down the road a few months. Right now I just have a 22" screen (1680x1050)
Also, this is a generic CPU cooling fan, will it do a decent job for the i7 920 if I don't plan to overclock it?

For right now I will be playing Fallout 3, maybe some WoW, and possibly some FPS games. I really haven't had a gaming computer before, and I want this one to run some games that are out now and be able to be easily upgraded for games coming out in coming months (particularly Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2)
I know Blizzard games are not too graphic intensive, but I still want to be able to have my options open to some of the better games.

To give you an idea on Fallout 3, I have a AMD 6000+ @ 3.0Ghz. With my 8800GTS i was able to get the highest settings on Fallout 3 and run other applications in the background without any lag. The game is still a little glitchy and prone to some hiccups, but the current CPU setup is going to eat anything you throw at it alive with room for more.

Of course, with games, you will have to wait and see, a lot of them are released to boost the sales of new graphics cards, you can save your money and play a particularly extensive library of games with medium to highest settings without worrying about an upgrade for awhile.
And I will be buying a LCD TV with HDMI (upwards to 2560x1600) ... so I figured if I added another GTX275 later then it should be able to handle that hopefully, but that is down the road a few months. Right now I just have a 22" screen (1680x1050)
Also, this is a generic CPU cooling fan, will it do a decent job for the i7 920 if I don't plan to overclock it?

On a 22'' screen, your games should look pretty amazing.

Thanks for the replies everybody, I called and made the changes today and my mind is at ease. I'm glad the setup will work out. I added the upgrade to Vista Premium and a full tower case instead of the mid-tower.

My total Price came out to $1230... I only wanted to spend $1000, but I am much more comfortable with this lasting me for a while. So I guess it is worth it. The changes set back my delivery date a couple days, but I'm not too anxious... yet :freak:

Thanks again everybody, I will update with some pics when it comes in at the end of the month.

If you are planning on upgrading to a 30" (they are the only monitors with 2560x1600 res) 2 gtx275's probably won't do so well. I would recommend a minimum of 2 gtx285s. That is an insane resolution to power. I hear it looks amazing and I would love to have a setup with one but you need to have the right gpu power behind it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom