Question about upgrading.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pocket

Beta member
So my mobo died a few weeks ago, and i figured i might as well upgrade my computer a little bit. I'm using my computer to generally play WoW, but i do occasionally play BF2142. As you know these aren't really graphically demanding games, Thus i don't really need to upgrade anything too much.

My old computer was a very old...

-------------------------------------------------
GA-K8N pro SLI motherboard
Amd Athlon 64 2400+ (1.8ghz if i remember).
Don't have a clue what the ram was.
I currently have these left over parts;

e-GeForce 8600GTS 512MB DDR3
Enermax FMA2 460W PSU
I'd have to take out my HD to figure out what it is, Works fine tho.
Viewsonic VA903b monitor, 8ms response isn't the greatest but i can deal with it
^ This stuff i can replace later on, I'd like to keep it for now though, to cut the budget and to have a working computer a little faster.

I've been reading through your forums for quite a few days now, And i have a few questions:

-Since I'm on a 32 bit OS, Should i be buying 3GB of RAM since my gfx card has 512MB Vram and 32bit only uses 3.5Gigs of total ram?

-Should i be taking my computer into a local computer store to have them put the heat-sync on my CPU or is it easy to do yourself?

-If i were to overclock a small to moderate amount, do i need watercooling? or will an aftermarket heatsync do just fine?

-Is DDR3 that big of a performance increase from DDR2? or does it not really matter for what im going to be doing. Is the mobo i picked out even compatible with DDR3 RAM?

-----------------------------------------------

These are the parts I've found so far for a decent price with good reviews.

-Motherboard
-Memory(Unless DDR3 is the way to go): first 2GB Other 1GB
-Processor

Apparently computer cases have a big impact on cooling, i still need some ideas of what to get. newegg always has good and bad reviews for almost all the cases.

And if it looks a little expensive for such cheap parts, it's Canadian newegg.

Just looking for some opinions before i go buy. thanks all =)

Well how much are you looking to spend?

You should use Vista 64bit if you can, with the sp1 its just as good as XP.

No you don't need to take your computer to Local store to get the heat sink put on.

No you could just get an aftermarket air cpu cooler like this one.

I think you have to use an AM3 cpu to use DDR3 (not certain about that), but there is DDR2 ram that is just as good.

I wouldn't mind spending anywhere from 300 - 450~, but keep in mind what this computer is being used for, and the programs / games im using/playing aren't really demanding. i just want a decent upgrade to have a working computer. If i get into more performance demanding games and programs. I'll definitely look into taking a dive and buying a whole new computer. but i don't have the money for that at the moment, and just need something to hold me over until then.

And at this point, anything i buy I'm going to see a big performance increase from my old set up. Just wanted to make sure everything i had planned out wasn't going to get messed up by a compatibility issue or bottlenecking.

Same processor, different etailer.

As for the RAM, the price is about the same, but shipping will kill you from Newegg.ca. If you go with a 32-bit OS, you won't be able to use all of it, but if you go with a 64-bit you will. While you have a 32-bit for now, odds are you will go 64 before it is over. I made the switch from 32-bit XP to 64-bit Vista... very nice and rock solid.

Use the comparison site Gilles posted to get your price-matching and order from NCIX. If nothing else it will save you a ton in shipping.

Lol, the word is getting around :p

Yeah, newegg charges the provincial sales tax while ncix.com doesn't...and their standard shipping is usually a little cheaper than newegg.ca. Those combined meas usually, ncix.com is cheaper than newegg.ca. What province are you in.

If you're getting a significant sized order ncix.com is 95% of the time the best retailer to buy from if you use their price match feature. I've made close to 100 orders, with hundreds of price match requests from them, and have only had a single price match rejected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom