i7 vs PII Deneb 940

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be honest DDR3 is not that expensive. The only issue with i7 that I see as of this moment, is that the boards are freaking expensive. But once the new chip set AM3 motherboards come out, that is when all the AMD fans will start recommending DDR3 ram. No offence to anyone, but ddr3 ram is NOW the standard.

Well lately prices are on a landslide

There are X58 boards pushing below the $200 envelope and 6GB of DDR3 1333 (PC10666) runs at about $70~$85 now

In reality you'd only really want to go i7 for the synthetic benchmarks and 3dMark scores, or if your planning on Quad SLI, Quad xFire, or 3-Way SLI with top end GFX cards

In gaming the fractional FPS increase (2~3 FPS) the i7 offers over the phenom in a typical scenario isn't practical for the price difference.

Myself I'm upgrading soon and going i7 but I plan on overclocking it's nuts off for benchmarks :D

DDR3's prices aren't that bad. In the Athlon64 heyday DDR was going for $150 for a good set of 2x1GB performance RAM, so $80 ain't that bad.

Right now the i7 boards are stupid expensive and the CPUs are pretty close. That is the cost for the speed of course.

^ Good stuff.. I'm really waiting on the price of SSD HDD's to go down.. a LOT...

I don't think I'd quite need an i7 then.. If I were to cross the fence, I'd prolly just do a Q9400S, or along those lines..

I've seen laptops with the C2D CPU that were incredibly responsive..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom