Building New Computer - Any Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

melcher88

Baseband Member
i'm building a new pc and i was wondering what everyone thinks.
it's on a budget of about $500-$600

Mobo - GIGABYTE "GA-8IPE1000 PRO-G" i865PE
Processor - P4 2.8 w/ HT (should i get Prescott or Northwood)
HDD - Western Digital 80GB 7200RPM SATA
Video Card - nVIDIA GeForce FX5200
RAM - Kingmax 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200
CD - Samsung Black 52X32X52X16 DVD/CD-RW Combo Drive

Any Suggestions would be great, thanks:)

Get a bigger hard drive (Like 120gb) - shouldnt be too much extra
Change the vid card to a fx 5600 or a ati radeon 9200/9550.
I heard that prescots get hot or somthing but i never owned an intel so i cant help u there.;)

try to get a better video card, like browz said, if not one of the above mentioned, then an ATi Radeon 9600Pro. the ram could be changed to a dual channel set for no or very little extra cost. appart from those two things it seems good, and get a prescott they do run a bit hotter than the Northwood, but just get slightly better cooling and you should be fine

yeah 5200 series wasn't meant for performance at all. nvidia states it on their site if you read about the 'FX Family'...so yeah definitely graphics card. Don't get a 120gb....get two 40gb's or stick with your original 80...I say two 40's so you could have a seperate backup and the other with the actual OS on it ya know? ATI beats nvidia in the previous generation of cards meaning the FX equivelant, but nvidia is better in the 6800 series and will reign supreme with their 6600 mainstream model over the X600 too

I would recomond going to AMD, but that might cost more than $500. You could always get a cpu\mobo combo, might cost you about $200 and i recomond a 5700 ultra instead of a 5600 because i have a 5600 ultra and its not that great. Dual channel ddr would also be your best bet. Just somethings you could do w/ some cash ya know! Always look at newegg or outpost for the best deals. Have fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom