74GB raptor worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aldernon

Baseband Member
I know there are alot of mixed reviews about buying raptors, but a ssd is out of my price range. Im looking to buy a 74GB raptor to use as an OS drive.

Im buying a segate 620GB 3gbps drive as storage. Total price is about $214 Canadian.

Good plan or not? Ive heard things about raid on 320 drives, but for the price and reliability, is it going to be worth it? Adding to this, I already have a 750GB usb drive which ive been using for storage (videos and music). Love the thing.

I have 2 raptors in raid0. They are fast and very hot and loud.
As a single drive it is not that much faster than 7200rpm drives.
For my next build I am ditching the raptors for a 500gb 32mb cache for less heat in the case and wait for ssd to drop in price.

I think it would be a good idea.

Personally I enjoy access time over sustained read/write - especially on the primary HD.

I cant believe no one has stated that the Raptor is old and has been superseded by the Velociraptor which is a lot faster. You can grab a 150GB for $160 at some places (cheapest ive seen it.)

Either that or grab a 60GB OCZ Vertex for $200.

I'm with zed on this one, the Raptor is dated. The 60gb OCZ Vertex would be the way to go if you really want some speed. Then maybe later on, you could grab a second one and RAID 0 them together, haha.

The great thing about the SSD's is that they aren't hot and loud. Great speed without the annoyance.

I presumed he meant the velociraptor.

I picked up 2 74gb raptors for $30/piece a while back - it was definitely worth it. Paying full retail on those guys would not be worth it.

He didn't mean since Velociraptor since they didn't make a 74gb Velociraptor...just a Raptor. The Velociraptors consist of the 150gb and 300gb models. Raptors were 36gb and 74gb, while the Raptor X series had a 150gb model (arguably the coolest looking one, by the way).

So to reiterate my point...the Raptors are dated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom