Good high perf. intake fan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhcp

Banned
My 9999th post in 2 weeks ;). I need a high performance intake fan for my case, LED would be good, not required. Molex would be needed because I don't have any 3 pin case fan connectors left (1 on my mobo, I know WTF? right! that's why i need an asus soon).
cooltext418344009.gif
(notice how that got your attention? PAY ATTENTION TO IT). Front intake for blowing over my HDDs because one of them got up to 90ºC once when I was transferring data. 0-28DB (no louder, i'm tired of buying the world's loudest fans).

Coming in at 24dba:
Newegg.com - Scythe SY1225SL12M 120mm "Slipstream" Case Fan - Case Fans

Also i hear there is this new Coolermaster fan that actually does 90CFM at around 20dba. Only place ive seen it is here for the time being:

CoolerMaster Silent Green LED Fan 120mm CoolerMaster Silent Green LED Fan 120mm [R4-L2R-20CG-GP] - $19.50 : PC Case Gear, Quality case accessories and components
"Pushing 90CFM at only 19dBA; a noise to airflow ratio never achieved before in any other 120mm Fan. Highly recommended for high performance CPU cooling or for improving case ventilation."

Ive never trusted rated specs on Coolermaster's or any other case manufacturers fans but id wait and see how it turns out.

The thing you have to remember about fans is that its not just the dba and cfm you have to worry about.

Normally, the higher the rpm of the fan, the louder it will sound to human ears. We have a better response to higher pitch sounds (well not too high obviously) so a fan at 2000rpm will sound louder to us than a 1000rpm fan with the same dba rating.

From what ive experienced myself fans start to get slightly annoying at around 2000rpm. This will also depend on where the fan is placed though. Intake fans are going to be more noticeable than exhast fans and cpu fans inside the case.

I jus ordered a couple of these, although i havent got them yet:

Newegg.com - XIGMATEK XLF-F1253 120mm 4 white LED LED Case Fan - Case Fans

61cfm @ <20dba is pretty respectable, especially considering its only at 1500rpm. You can probably find better specs though. Just be aware there is a tradeoff for higher rpm and noise.

EDIT: Also keep in mind that a 10dba difference (eg. 20dba-30dba) is double the loudness, where as 3dba difference is barely noticeable.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm yum. Ive always liked that Xigma 120. Most people dont buy it though because it doesnt match their color scheme.

...and it will make your ears bleed. 4600 RPM @ 65dba is ridiculous. Why not just attach your vaccum cleaner to the exhast...it will sound the same.

Point taken

that suggestion is a joke my friend

no one would subject themselves to that

that monster could pass as a heat pump fan lol

lol I think he made that a little conspicuous :p And before he added the giant flashing '120mm' image, he had it in a large green font.
hehehe when i first read it i was like WTF DUDE lol i was thinking, color blind maybe? But, we're cool, no problems I hope. Still need a fan though, I haven't looked on here for a bit, haven't gotten to look at ALL the fans though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom