Vista 64 bit or Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

noelc

Solid State Member
Hi,

Hope I got the right place to post this. I,m looking to build a PC useing the following components below but a friend of mine suggested I use Linux instead of Vista 64 bit?? I do a lot of photograhy and video editing and have always used XP.

Appreciate your comments.

Processor Intel Core i7-920

MotherBoard Intel i7 Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5

DDR3 Ram 6GB Kit (3x2048MB) PC12800 1600MHz Patriot PVT36G1600LLK

3.5" HDD SATA-300 750GB 16MB Western Digital

Graphics card - Sapphire TOXIC HD 4850 (512MB GDDR3 PCI-E)

Power -900w Apevia Warlock ATX-WA900W

:eek::eek:

900W is a bit much for your needs, you should at a well-built 500-600W, such as this Corsair. Keep in mind that the PSU is the most important part of your system, IMO; if it dies, it takes other stuff with it, and cheap PSUs are likely to die.
You might also want to go for a 1TB hard drive (or a second 750GB), video+images can take up a LOT of space quickly.

Everything else looks pretty good, though I don't know much about i7 motherboards.

As for Vista or Linux, are you able to use the XP that's on your current PC? Could save you a bit of money there.
I would say, go with whichever runs the programs you use best. For example, are there Linux versions of the programs you use? If not, do you know how well they run in Wine (Windows emulator)?

Most likely the windows xp he has is 32bit so he would want a 64bit system with 6gb of ram.

If you game then you would want vista 64bit.
If not then it is a personal choice.

I will let the Linux experts expound upon the virtues of Linux.

Perhaps a dual boot might be nice to run until you get more comfortable with what you can do with Linux. Especially if the machine will be used for business purposes.

Id say grab a copy of Home Premium 64bit, or if your at college or some higher educational facility i believe you can get Windows Server 08 64Bit for free from DreamSpark (google it).

Its essentially a faster version of Vista Ultimate.

As for the parts, everything looks good but swap the ram for an OCZ Platinum 6GB Kit 1600MHZ Cas 7 and the power supply for a 610 Continuous PC Power & Cooling PSU.

I just downloaded server 08 64bit trial, you cant get it from dreamspark in 64bit, but you can use the key they give you to activate the trial for free... can't wait to try it.. supposed to be pretty good... now my g/f's laptop can use all 4 gigs of ram it has lol... does server 08 have DirectX? if its better than vista 64 i might change my desktop over... although the win7 beta is pretty good..

Re: Linux utilities support for i7 processor compliant MOBO

Hi,

I,m building a new PC which I,m looking to run on a Linux 64 bit operateing system. All the hardware is listed below but I have concerns which I,m hopeing this forum can help with.

I dont beleive the MOBO vendor is supplying Linux utiliites support for the mother board?

This being the case (Not yet confirmed) can anyone recommend a board which will be supported useing Linux while obviously being compatible for 17 processors?

Thx

CPU/Processor Intel Core i7-920 (2.66 GHz/8M/C0/4.80 GT/45nm) LGA1366
MotherBoard Intel i7 Gigabyte GA-EX58-EXTREME
Desktop DDR3 Ram 6GB Kit (3x2048MB) PC12800 1600MHz Patriot
3.5" HDD SATA-300 750GB 32MB Samsung
Video Card (ATI) PCI-e 4850 x2 1GB Sapphire
WideScreen LCD Monitor 24" BenQ G2400WD (5ms/1000:1/HDMI) Black
Power Supply 700W Seasonic M12 (Modular) Super Silent
Gaming Case CoolerMaster Storm Sniper SGC-6000-KKN1-GP Black (no PSU)
Samsung SAMSUNG DVR SATA DRIVE 22X

Have you given Windows Server 08 64bit a go yet? Its 100% free if your a student pretty much anywhere. Or do you definantly want to go Linux?

My plan with my new build is to go with server 08 for 6 months as well. Vista here in Australia cost about $170+ it's just not worth it.

Have you given Windows Server 08 64bit a go yet? Its 100% free if your a student pretty much anywhere. Or do you definantly want to go Linux?

Yeah I,d prefer to move completely away from windows but as mentioned utilities support for MOBO may be an issue?

I'll chime in here on Linux-

I'd suggest you read here to get the just of it, Linux - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you're willing to learn a bit and step out of what you're used to and have a desire to learn something new, I would suggest checking out Ubuntu Home Page | Ubuntu . It's one of the most commonly used distributions. It's noted for its ease of use and its a great first distribution to use migrating from Windows. Use google and look around. Theirs really a lot to talk about, check out the Linux section on the forums to learn more also.

Their are thousands of applications for it, and a lot of good ones come with Ubuntu when you get it. Firefox, instant messaging client, e-mail client, torrent program, image editing program, audio and video programs, and has a relatively easy learning curve. Again, I'd suggest reading more about it before you dive into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom