Won't boot, "disc read error"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't have another computer to try it in, so that's not really an option. It's the same thing happening as with the other drive. It's reading it in the BIOS, but it won't boot and Windows won't recognize it in the install. Is there something wrong with the computer that's causing the problem or am I just that unlucky to have two drives fail this quickly??

What makes you think it's the motherboard??

This is so frustrating to finally build myself a new computer, and have to deal with these frickin problems. What makes it worse is having to wait the extra week or two to deal with the RMA process at NewEgg.

I had this problem today in one of my older builds, and I swapped it in my shiny new 1 day old build and it got the same error after DMI pool data. I would just recommend trying the repairing with Vista and if that doesn't work start the RMA process. (I know it sucks, I have a mobo and GPU in RMA right now)

DOA's are just going to happen. But don't blame WD some of the best HD's I've owned are WD, also the worst. Same with Seagate.

Is it just pure coincidence that they both died booting from sleep mode? That just seems weird to me. Regardless, I guess I'll send both in for an RMA and hope the third one works like it's supposed to.

Well, if this happened to you twice with 2 different hard drives, I think your problem is not hard drive related. One thing we know that happened these 2 times is that your computer was in sleep mode. Now, can you put one of the drives to another computer as a slave and see if you can access it? I do not think it has anything to do with WD drives. Your computer may have some issue under sleep mode-try to reformat the new drive, and reinstall--disable sleep mode this time--best luck.

Well that's the thing, the hard drive's being recognized by the BIOS, but when I boot up with the Vista disc it can't find the hard drive to reformat it. Kind of weird.

I don't have an extra working computer that I can hook it up to. I built this one because my old computer died.

Well that's the thing, the hard drive's being recognized by the BIOS, but when I boot up with the Vista disc it can't find the hard drive to reformat it. Kind of weird.

I don't have an extra working computer that I can hook it up to. I built this one because my old computer died.
Well, you must have some old boot floppy disk that you can use to format the drive the old way. It is always handy to keep an these floppies around for something like this. This may be a problem with vista disk--What about an xp bootable to just format the drive--and go back to Vista once it is one--remember you were able to install on the new hard drive when it did not have an OS.

I didn't even put a floppy drive on the computer, because I haven't used a floppy drive in about 8 years. If I can find my old XP boot disc I can try that, not sure if it'll help or not though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom