Okay...IDE..PATA..SATA....WTF?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hesson81

Baseband Member
Okay I recently bought a media Player that requires a 2.5" IDE (PATA) hard drive, I thought i had one (HDD) at home, but i don't think i did. because i couldn't get it in the Media player. So i googled PATA/SATA/IDE on google images to see pictures of the connection, But it's so confusing because I see some pictures that I thought would of been PATA, and the people labeled them SATA, and vise versa... What's IDE?? just HDD type?? not actaul hardware connection (or plug). The HDD I have has a godly ammount of, what I would think are like copper pins, two rows of them... What is that called??

Can come one post some accurate web links to pictures of PATA/SATA?? I want to buy an HDD for that Media player, but I want to make sure I buy the right one.

THanks so much.......

This is the MEDIA player I bought:
Newegg.com - Mvix MV-2500 Ultra-Portable Media Center

This is the older technology 3.5" IDE pata hdd.
6B300R0.jpg
sata_hard_drive_connectors_jumpers.jpg

This is the newer 3.5" sata hdd.

The 2.5" that you need is a laptop drive which is different again.

the first image above is pata/IDE (un-Godley amount of pins) and the second image is Sata (no pins for connections)

okay...so the one to the left is older PATA? and the right newer PATA?? I think I need the one to the right but 2.5".... Why would they call both of them PATA? Now I can't be sure what I get. I can't use a convertion cable because it's supposed to fit in a small media player.

I don't know why I can't find actual compatible HDD's on their web site.... Don't tell me what typem just tell me a model number that would work. It's not stupid (me) friendly...

Thanks for your help...

okay...so the one to the left is older PATA? and the right newer PATA?? I think I need the one to the right but 2.5".... Why would they call both of them PATA? Now I can't be sure what I get. I can't use a convertion cable because it's supposed to fit in a small media player.

I don't know why I can't find actual compatible HDD's on their web site.... Don't tell me what typem just tell me a model number that would work. It's not stupid (me) friendly...

Thanks for your help...

The one on the left is PATA aka IDE, the one on the right is SATA.
For 2.5" drives that you are looking for the PATA connectors are different from the 3.5" PATA drives but 2.5" SATA drives use the same connectors as 3.5" SATA drives.

Souldphire, I agree with you, when i Type in 2.5" pata in new egg I think it returns with one HDD.... This media Player is not good. I think I might have to excersise my return policy because I can't find a PATA 2.5" drive, and it came with a small crack on it..

Last ditch Effort: can someone post some links to some pages that they think I might be able to find the 2.5" PATA?? I think i'm understanding the whole concept now of PATA and SATA, I don't understand why they would call PATA on a 2.5" the same as a PATA on a 3.5", even though the connection is nothing alike.... The media player can hold up to 250GB's. Looking for about a 160 to 200GB.

THanks so much for your help....learned a lot..

Yes, ATA=PATA=IDE. The size of the drive will dictate what form of IDE. In this case, the ATA-6 have a different connector than normal IDE, which will fit in a laptop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom