How to overclock my phenom II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thresh25

Daemon Poster
So I've done some basic overclocking on my asus board with an athlon x2. To do this I just upped the FSB, but now I have a biostar Tforce 128m and a phenom II x3 720 black edition. Not sure whether to OC with FSB, or use the unlocked multiplier, or both.

This bios was a little different and seemed a little more confusing. I had to enable a few things to actually get to the next menus that I will post below. Also, in cpu-z it says multiplier is at 4, in bios it said it was at 14.0.

These are the seperate menus I got---

CPU/HT reference clock [200] (200-600mhz)
Is that the FSB I would need to up to OC??

or another menu,
CPU FID/VID control
( I had to enable something in this to get the next drop down menus to come)
Core FID [x14.0 2800mhz] Is this the mutliplier? It says 14, whereas cpu-z says x4.
Core DIP [divided by one]
Core VID [1.2500 v]
NB FIP [1600 mhz] I assume I don't need to up that??

Sorry guys, a bit new to Overclocking. All help is appreciated, thanks in advance.

So I've done some basic overclocking on my asus board with an athlon x2. To do this I just upped the FSB, but now I have a biostar Tforce 128m and a phenom II x3 720 black edition. Not sure whether to OC with FSB, or use the unlocked multiplier, or both.

This bios was a little different and seemed a little more confusing. I had to enable a few things to actually get to the next menus that I will post below. Also, in cpu-z it says multiplier is at 4, in bios it said it was at 14.0.

These are the seperate menus I got---

CPU/HT reference clock [200] (200-600mhz)
Is that the FSB I would need to up to OC??

or another menu,
CPU FID/VID control
( I had to enable something in this to get the next drop down menus to come)
Core FID [x14.0 2800mhz] Is this the mutliplier? It says 14, whereas cpu-z says x4.
Core DIP [divided by one]
Core VID [1.2500 v]
NB FIP [1600 mhz] I assume I don't need to up that??

Sorry guys, a bit new to Overclocking. All help is appreciated, thanks in advance.

Well in my opinion, start with the Multiplier, when you start seeing instability issues with Multiplier raising, start incrementing the the HT reference clock 1 by 1 because it would be extremely close to the same instability point as before... you should hit 3.0-3.2ghz relatively easily without having to worry about voltage increasing

Once you get the Overclock thing sorted out, try to unlock that 4th core becasue you can ;)

Hey I'm 16 too man ;)

Haha you're a mature 16 year old. You have answered some of my questions, still have a few more though... it's endless, I know.

What would be safe to OC on 3 120mm fans, stock heatsink, and fan from the 750tx blowing on it?

I would love to get to like 3.2 stable, but just don't know if I should push that. Last, what multiplier am I at??

Is it the cpu-z 4x or the bios that says 14?

First ones are relatively easy, yes it'd be fine, however at that point I'd highly start worrying about temperatures.

3.2ghz would be a relatively easy OC on even a Stock Cooler, because I'm 98% sure that hikaricloud got like 3.5ghz which was stable enough for a SuperPI run, so 3.2 daily wouldn't be pushing it. But again, temps :)

For the last question I'm unsure..

Yeah the temps were my question. This case has a lot better cooling than my last, and a .3 ghz OC was stable on my last (though I had an aftermarket heatsink, only one 120mm fan though). Well going to try to get to 3.0 ghz, monitor temps and see how it goes. Do you recommend any specific monitoring software? I have vista 64 bit and I know some things don't like to play nicely with it.

On my last comp nothing played nice though, nvidia monitor would read different temps than like the 3 other things I downloaded, none of them seemed right.

I think Everest and Core Temp (not sure if Core Temp accurately tells for PII's)

I run my 720 at 3.5ghz 24/7 on stock cooling. It's really easy to overclock at first. Just with multipliers, I hit 3.7ghz. After that, it's a playing around with the fsb and such. Just make sure to disable Cool N' Quiet, it may make an OC unstable.

And Vern, I'm pretty sure Core Temp is accurate with the phenom II's, I tried to match them up with the boot-up hardware monitor, and it seems pretty spot on.

I hope it's not lower than it should be, haha. Since i've hit temps over 70c...

EDIT: I do recommend getting an after market HSF, I'm grabbing a core contact in a couple weeks.

I d/led core temp, but it tells me I've only got two cores. So not sure if it is working right... lol. And so I do need to disable cool n quiet then? What does that do exactly?

I d/led core temp, but it tells me I've only got two cores. So not sure if it is working right... lol. And so I do need to disable cool n quiet then? What does that do exactly?

Set Multiplier to 17.5 and up the CPU Vcore to 1.4Volts.

ahh the x3 720,

good stuff
you've already received all the advice you'll need I'm just wishing you good luck

be careful with the voltages:freak:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom