At my wit's end...

Status
Not open for further replies.

carnageX

Private Joker,
Staff member
Ok, this is frustrating me beyond belief. About ready to chuck this thing out of my window.

Now...to the point: I get no POST from my build. This happened before, but I just contributed it to Windows 7 bugs (would lock up in the OS, and when I went to do a cold reboot, I'd get no POST). So I ended up RMA'ing the board. Got it back, and it has been working fine with Vista. Now, just the other day it started to do this again. I went to do a reboot, and then boot off of a Win7 DVD to re-install it. Wouldn't boot off of the DVD. Had to do a cold reboot (wouldn't try to boot to OS either). After that, it wouldn't POST again. I managed to get it to POST after I cleared CMOS multiple times (jumper and batt), and disconnecting all of my HDD's and ODD's. Board POSTed, turned it back off, plugged everything back in, and it worked fine.

So then today I turn my monitor on after I wake up, and I find that Vista is locked up, just like Windows 7 had done. I did a hard reboot, and I got no POST. I've done everything I did before (disconnected all drives/cleared CMOS/single RAM stick/etc). Still no go. I get no POST beep error or anything, either. When it tries to boot, the activity light just blinks once, and I hear a little click (NOT the hard drive, HDD is disconnected).

Could it be the board again? Or could it be the CPU? Or my optical drives messing with the board even after they're disconnected? Seriously at a loss here...

If Gigabyte was open today, I'd just call them and complain until they decided to ship me a new board, or at least cross-ship a new board because I don't wanna have to wait 2-3 weeks AGAIN for the RMA/repair to get done.

If it comes down to it, I may just get a new CPU and see if that works...or end up getting a new board/CPU all together so that I know nothing else is at fault (maybe a new Phenom II is in order...)

Specs are as follows:
Gigabyte ep45-ud3r
e6750
gtx 285
corsair 520hx
g.skill 4gb (2x2gb) 1066 ddr2

Are you able to try the RAM in another computer, and run memtest86+ on that?

I have 2 different sets of RAM (2gb stick of g.skill 1066 and 1gb stick of g.skill 800). So RAM isn't a problem; highly doubt a brand new set of 1066 sticks and a stick of 800 I have are all faulty.

I managed to get it to POST...left the CMOS battery out for about 20 minutes...only hooked up 1 of my ODD's and hooked up both my HDD's...kept BIOS settings to default. Really aggrivating me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom