please suggest 700-800$ build. Non gaming, no overclocking

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only way you are going to be able to test it out is by sticking it in another machine, like kmote said.

When you turn the machine on, does the hard drive actually start up? If you put your hand on it, can you feel it spinning?

I'm really thinking it's possibly a bad drive. If it is, you just need to RMA it through newegg...a pain, but worth it.

I think the $700-$800 range without needing to purchase a monitor might still be better getting a custom build. When someone wants a general purpose computer, monitor, and kb/m for $500 and under I usually tell them to look at Dell.

With his budget, I'd say go with what hikari and trotter said.

EDIT: And like what's been said in the later posts, a laptop would be a good way to go if the guy doesn't need or want a desktop.

Alright, I hooked the HDD up to my computer at home. My bios also doesn't see it. The HDD doesn't make any sound, nothing spins, no clicking noise but does get really warm. What does that mean?

If it is dead where can get some more info on RMA, should I just call them?

Yes. Just call Newegg (if you got it from them) and they will get things moving for you.

Hey guys,
We have built the computer yesterday. I have gone with the Hikaricloud suggestions and GFX card suggested by Trotter. The system powers up and everything seems to run fine. The only big problem is that the system doesn't see the hard drive. I don't see it in Bios nor does the Vista see it. I connected it by sata cable and power cable. I have tried different cables and get the same result. Before I assume that it is a bad hard drive and send it back is there anything else I could try?

Thank you again.

For my Motherboard and SATA drive I actually have to remap the SATA primary to the IDE primary in the BIOS and then it will be detected by my BIOS and OS... But I run an old school rig. I've got a 478 socket Motherboard with a single core 2.8hz P4 CPU and on this Motherboard the IDE hard drive slots seem to be the primary ones and take priority over anything plugged into the SATA slots

Alright, I hooked the HDD up to my computer at home. My bios also doesn't see it. The HDD doesn't make any sound, nothing spins, no clicking noise but does get really warm. What does that mean?

If it is dead where can get some more info on RMA, should I just call them?

opps just saw this... well if the HD is dead.. which it sounds like it is then nothing will help it. lol

just a FYI though... like i said above it 'seemed' as if my hard drives were dead as well but once i made those changes in the BIOS they worked fine.

No vibration at all? Are you sure you plugged in the power?

yes it is plugged in. I get the heat but no vibration or noise. The green on the bottom of HDD get really hot, so I think it is getting the enough power.

Update: The HDD was infact DOA. Got a new HDD everything works perfectlly. Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom