new SATA HDD not recognized

Status
Not open for further replies.

camosilver311

In Runtime
my old comp died a few weeks ago and i had a new one built. i added another brand new SATA hard drive today but it doesn't show up in "my computer". BIOS sees it, and when the computer booted the bubble popped up saying new drive, and that's it. the drive is spinning, but i just can't see it in "my computer" so i can't format it. i tried rebooting, tried switching SATA ports, no luck. i have one other SATA drive that i installed with no problems.

i am running xp with an intel quad core 2.83 processor and asus p5ql pro MOBO. any suggestions?

Go to Disk Management (Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management, assuming XP or Vista). The drive should appear there. You just need to right-click on the drive and give it a drive letter, and/or format it there.

well, it gives me the option to "convert to dynamic disk" when i right click the grey square that says disc 2, basic, online, and if i right click the long rectangular area next to it, which says "unallocated", it only says "new partition", "properties", and "help".

which one should i click, convert to dynamic disk or new partition?

well, it gives me the option to "convert to dynamic disk" when i right click the grey square that says disc 2, basic, online, and if i right click the long rectangular area next to it, which says "unallocated", it only says "new partition", "properties", and "help".

which one should i click, convert to dynamic disk or new partition?

If you're sure that's the right disk, then 'new partition'. Then give it a drive letter (just go with the default) and format it to NTFS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom