E8500 Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is that promo code for the $20 off for Vista EMCLRLN28
Anyone can use it, you type in the code at the bottom when checking out.

Thanks for that! Egghead makes it sound like you have to be a subscriber. Does anyone post the promotions somewhere (for non-subscribers)?

Alright, I getting tempted to make the leap to Vista-64. I heard Windows-7 should be out in October, but (as you can probably tell) I'm not an early adopter :).

I'm a big fan of VMware, and I'd love to get my OEM WinXP-32 running in a VM under Vista-64. Anyone have any idea of how well this works? Seems like a great way to handle iTunes too (avoid having to call apple every time the hardware changes).

Windows 7 is supposed to be slated for 2010 release. You could always upgrade then. Vista-64 will be just fine though, it works pretty well now that SP1 is out.

Don't know much VMware, I'm sure someone else can answer that question.

Okay, you have me convinced. I'll probably go ahead and order Vista-64.

I'm starting to favor the gtx260 core 216 over the gtx285. The gtx260 is about $140 cheaper. I think at my resolution (1680x1050) I probably won't notice the difference in performance, and I'm guessing the next round of games will kill both cards. The benchmarks I've seen really make the gtx285 seem like a great card (if you can only pick one), but the absolute differences in performance were about 10-20% at most. Any thoughts on this?

I'd go with the gtx260 core 216. You should have no problems running any game out there on high. I've got the HD4870 512MB, and it's rated one bellow the core 216 (on this site anyways), and I can run Crysis high, with no AA, but I'm not OC.

You could also get the 275 when it's out. I think it's still pre-order, so it should be soon. It seems to be going for about $260 US.

Gilles, what's your position on AA and AF? I know it would be cool to have 6 x AA and 16 x AF, but from the screen shots I've seen I'm not sure I'd appreciate the difference. I noticed a lot of benchmarks use 4xAA and no AF, is this in order to do "apples to apples" comparisons?

I don't know a whole lot on the subject. I honestly didn't see a huge difference when I tried using 4xAA in Crysis, although I should have taken screens to properly compare.

Edit: Here's something that might help you choose between those cards.
Spring 2009 GPU Shootout: Radeon 4890 vs GeForce GTX 275

As hikaricloud said, the Radeon 4890 is looking like a good choice right now, unless you really want to go nVidia.

The 4890 does look mighty tempting. The gtx275 looks great too. At that point it's down to PhysX vs. dx 10.1

At some point I have to decide :), but I should probably wait at least a few weeks to see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom