weird laptop cpu issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

wizzardxexe

In Runtime
ok so im trying to play jedi knight jedi academy (an old quake like game that would run on a toaster) on my dv2845se laptop. i have all the settings (sound, filtering, everything) set to as low or as almost low they will go. but whenever i try to play my cpu usage (amd 2.0 ghz dual core) my cpu usage goes up to 100 percent!! this is running vista x64, task manager, and jedi academy. that is it.

wtf is going on? its not my video card. should i do just a reintstall of windows or something?
note: this seems to happen with every game i run, including aoe2.

what should i do? this laptop isnt even a year old

when it is running have you opened task manager to see if it is indeed the process that is using all of your cpu?

yes, i have task manager open, and it reads that the taskmng process takes 2% and the game takes 98% and that doesnt charnge while im playing.

ive used glary utilities to turn most of the junk stuff off. i even reinstalled windows! could there have been heat damage or something? i think im still covered by hp's warranty, so... maybe a replacement?
i'll try to get a screenshot of taskmanager.

it is REALLY WEIRD tho. i mean, this game ran fine like around thanksgiving when i was playing with my friends. i haven't installed anything new, aside from nvidia drivers for laptops. but it was doing the same thing without the drivers...

i mean, the 7150m should run a source game like hl2 at all lowest settings right??? at least! but it shows cpu usage at 100% and the sound screws up then all goes to ****

but for some reason, te game will work fine for like 5 seconds, then it starts crazying up

HELP ME PLEASE

its an amd turion tl-60 running vista premium 64bit
video card is a nvidia 7150m

hardware requirements of this game
Operating System: Windows 98 or higher
Computer: 100% DirectX 9.0a compatable computer required
CPU: Pentium III or Athlon Class 450 MHz or faster CPU required
Memory: 128MB RAM Required. 256MB recommended.
Graphics Card: 32 MB OpenGL compatable PCI or AGP Hardware Accelerator required.
Sound Card: 16 bit DirectX 9.0a compatable sound card required.

my system
2ghz dual core
vista
9.0c directx
4gb ram
7150m 128mb dedicated in bios
soundcard should be fine

????

im pretty sure it takes up 100 percent of the cpu because the sound goes all funny and makes only a little but of noise every frame and when i look at task manager history it shows 100 percent of 1 cpu being used while the second one has spikes

oh and it doesnt stay at 98 percent when i EXIT the game sorry, its when i minimize te game to look at task manager.

Have you got the latest chipset drivers installed for your system?

While the 1 comment was right, XP will only use 1 CPU, the way it is referenced is wrong.

XP has the ability to only use 1 physical CPU but it can have as many cores as you want. It could be 1 physical CPU with 8 cores and still work. The 1 core being idle till needed isnt how it is supposed to operate.

This was addressed and fixed with SP2 and even more so with SP3 of XP. Since back when XP first came out there was only single core CPU's out then. They had to patch XP to allow for multi core processors to work.

So in essence the system should still work flawlessly. Even in game. Have you gone thru a through scan with Osiris's guide to check for any spyware?

I have been working with Windows for many years now and have done a lot of work with it. Almost everything i know i got from personal experience or from research. When not reading and responding to topics here i am reading material on Windows. It is a never ending process for me.

Check in OT for my topic on the MVP Program. That might explain it more. I am going to create it now.

Ok I think I found out what the problem is. It's heat. My laptop can play hl2 ok fir maybe half an hour, but as the machine gets hotter, performnce keeps going down until
It's unplayable. It is an hp, and a not so great one at that so this is to be expected. Anyone know of any good ways to cool it down? Remove dust that sort of thing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom