How much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ehgit

In Runtime
I think this is the right place for this question: What should I charge a co-worker for trouble shooting and installing a new dvd-rom. I was thinking maybe 30 or 40 bucks? I'm not sure what would be fair to me and my co-worker. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

My time is priceless!;) Yeah it's a desktop. So 60 bucks is fair? I guess so since I spent at least an hour trouble shooting and did the searching for the new dvd-rom. OK, 60 bucks it is! Thanks Lex! BTW, have you seen the Richard Donner cut of Superman 2?

Why charge so much for a 2 minute job? You definitely should not charge him that much if you have not told him it could be so high.

EDIT: If you bought the drive for him and it was the only thing you had delivered then charge him the cost of the drive + delivery + $5-$10 for the installation

I wouldn't charge $60 at all. If I'm doing something for someone like a friend, family, or co-worker I usually do under what a repair shop would do or a place like Geek Squad. If it's a referral then I would do more. Like what one of the guys said, it's a 2 minute job. I'd do $15-$20 besides the cost of the drive. Because you do have the knowledge, you're spending your time on it, which is valuable.

Thanks for the suggestion everyone. I think I will do it for 20 bucks since I did spend about an hour just trying to see if the problem was fixable and he is paying for the new drive and all I will do is install it.

I wouldn't charge $60 at all. If I'm doing something for someone like a friend, family, or co-worker I usually do under what a repair shop would do or a place like Geek Squad. If it's a referral then I would do more. Like what one of the guys said, it's a 2 minute job. I'd do $15-$20 besides the cost of the drive. Because you do have the knowledge, you're spending your time on it, which is valuable.
Geek Squad will charge way more than that. ;)

GS will charge like $50 or more just to look at it. :eek:
Thanks for the suggestion everyone. I think I will do it for 20 bucks since I did spend about an hour just trying to see if the problem was fixable and he is paying for the new drive and all I will do is install it.

I would say that if you spent time trying to fix it, and you still have to go back and install it, that it would be worth more than $20. I mean in just the gas alone, dependign on distance to travel and vehicle used, could amount to that. Not to mention the time you have spent on the job. A hour to troubleshoot and then another trip to install which will only be 5 minutes, would be a bit more than a $20 spot for most technicians.

ehgit, did you go out to the PC or did you get them to bring the PC to you? That does change things a bit. Was this troubleshooting you had to do to install the drive or was it because of a problem that arose later?

It was brought to me and the drive was bad so the install will be because of the bad drive. I mean, I know it's an easy fix, but I did take time to try and fix the old drive so I guess 30 bucks or so just for "labor" and time wouldn't be asking too much, especially since it would almost definitely cost him at least double that (not including the cost of the new drive) if he took it anywhere else...I think 30 bucks is fair and competitive.

Geek Squad will charge way more than that. ;)

GS will charge like $50 or more just to look at it. :eek:

I would say that if you spent time trying to fix it, and you still have to go back and install it, that it would be worth more than $20. I mean in just the gas alone, dependign on distance to travel and vehicle used, could amount to that. Not to mention the time you have spent on the job. A hour to troubleshoot and then another trip to install which will only be 5 minutes, would be a bit more than a $20 spot for most technicians.

Thanks, Mak, I knew you wouldn't pull any punches and would just tell it like it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom