Why is my laptop slow with pro tools? my desktop is old, but faster??

Status
Not open for further replies.

rave_tech

In Runtime
my laptop is slow with pro tools 7.4 m-powered...when i use the preview on the plugins to hear the live changes to the audio i am making its choppy and has a delay....

for example if i raise the the bass, and move the eq around its always choppy and has a delay....

but...on my desktop (which is slower) has no delay?? they are both hooked up to the same fast track pro usb interface...

heres the specs of both computers:

laptop=slow

2.0 ghz core2duo T7300 4 mb cache
2 gb ddr2 667 mhz
80 gb sata
usb 2.0

desktop=old but faster with pro tools

2.8 ghz pentium D 915 dual core (2 years before core2duo came out)
1 gb ddr2 533 mhz
80 gb IDE hard drive NOT SATA!!
usb 2.0

so why would the desktop outperform the laptop? the laptop is a dell lattitude D630, and it clearly has better hardware....

thanks

Its probably low on battery, or it can't hold a charge on the battery.. when that happens it underclocks significantly to not be a power hog

the only thing on this laptop that is not on my computer is waves mercury vst, which takes an extra 2 minutes to load pro tools but thats it....

my core i7 rig has everything on it, and of course it runs wide open no matter what hahaha LOL

People in general often overlook what software is running on their PC's when they say that it's running slow.

Of course, it's possible the laptop is underclocking itself to save power. I'd run CPU'Z to check what speed it's running at first.

then I'd have a look in the task manager

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom