RAM - 32bit XP and VMWare

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly if you can get your system stable, the loss of teh PPD and points will be worth it in the long run. I mean if it locks up when you are not around how much do your loss then? While it sits there locked up waiting to be reset to fold again.

I mean if you are out for a day or more and it decides to lock up you will lose a lot more than what you will loss if you just stop the SMP Folding.

I love F@H and think it is great. But it isnt worth the instability that you are experiencing.

Excatly mak. Its more of an annoyance of not being able to do it, whilst others are folding farms with them. I like smp, as its a different type of unit than gpus, but i sure wish they'd invcrease the pts on one.

It usually locks up overnight, and so its like 9hrs of not working. And I've wondered if its timed with a scan.

It could very well be timed up with a AV scan or even WU checking.

Paton people have been asking me that for years. I still dont have a answer for them.

But check to see what it could be. Maybe it is linked to the sleep mode. You say it happens overnight.

Maybe it happens when your system goes into low power standby.

What are your power options set to? Maybe something is in there. Do you have Defender or another spyware app installed? What AV are you using?

LEts see if we might be able to narrow this down.

You could try enabling PAE mode, and checking the BIOS to see if memory hole remapping is enabled.

64Bit XP Sucks doesnt it
No, it's very stable with SP2, and runs almost every program XP does.
I'm using it as my main OS and I like it (I'm using 8GB RAM and 2 x 512MB 4870's in crossfire).

From my experience, I think it handles a larger workload better than 32-bit XP. It just feels more solid if I'm throwing a lot at it, even with just 4GB RAM.

though, using 8GB RAM and a quad core CPU, I can disable paging file, tweak my OS to load more of the kernel in RAM (~750MB used), run an XP 32 virtual machine with ~3GB RAM assigned to it and have a demanding program running inside it, open a ton of browser windows and misc programs all taking up ~1GB, and then open up Crysis at the same time and have that running as smoothly as it always does.
then if I get bored of Crysis, I can just minimise the game and open another game simultaneously, and have that running as smoothly as it always does. Then minimise that and go back to Crysis, or whatever I was working on before. The system doesn't skip a beat.

I'd like a larger monitor though. Maybe I'll try aiming for a 30" LCD with 2560x1600, when I get the money from K.Rudd's stimulus package.
as well the keys aren't interchangable.
I don't know what you mean by that.

He means XP 32bit and XP 64bit keys are not interchangeable, as in they cannot be used on either version as they can with Vista / W7.

B-I-N-G- ** and BINGO was his name-O

Mak, I run AVAST, Defender and TVersity media server.. which was set to rescan at 12am but i reset it to 10pm

Power settings is just monitors.

520hx should be enough to power my oc, 3.1@1.4Vs shouldn't it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom