RAM - 32bit XP and VMWare

Status
Not open for further replies.

patonb

Golden Master
So, I'm getting complete system locks, and it's peeing me off.

I've got 4Gigs of RAM, and my 260 at 896 Megs, and a 8600 at 256Megs

Windows reports only 2.5Gigs... Which seems odd as when I had the 8800gt @ 512Megs I had like 3.5Gigs.

Now, As I'm running Vmware with 980Megs, is it possible, the VMWre is accessing beyond the 2.5Gig limit and lockin me?

thnks

No. You have to remember that Windows will use not only the system RAM but the GPU RAM as well.

So you have 4GB installed along with the 896MB and the 256MB.

So right now you take off the 896MB and the 256MB and you are down to 2944MB for system RAM. Subtract off of that 512MB for hardware addressing. Maybe even 750MB. Since you run dual cards and that.

So that takes you to about 2194MB that the system can use. Since you only have a 32 Bit OS. You should seriously consider going to 64 Bit to take full advantage of everything you have. You are just barely getting above 2GB of your RAM used. Which is also why Windows reports 2.5GB.

The VMWare will only access what it is assigned. So if it is set at 980MB that is all it will use. But you have to remember that the 980MB is being subtracted from your 2.5GB that you can use. Not the 4GB you have. So you are down to just about 1.5GB for your system.

So if you start running some intensive programs it is very likely you could be locking up your system. Cause you are down to 1.5GB of RAM.

Now this is assuming that you are running Windows XP 32 Bit and not just running XP 32 Bit in VMWare.

So hardware addressing is that much eh? That then makes the 2.5Gig okay. <--- Part I didn't know.

The most intense work is in the vmware, smp Folding on notFreds... 980 is more than enough.

Everest claims, with vmware running, only 66% RAM usage too, so other apps should have plenty of room. I don't run much.

I'd love to get 64bit, but I just bought XP Pro last year. Grrrrrrrrr, and I'm thinking of getting a second 260...

Might have to... 64Bit XP Sucks doesnt it, as well the keys aren't interchangable.

Thanks mak

I just hate to ditcn a recent ~yr old XP purchase.....

If It'd stop my lockups I'd do it.. It's very odd thought No matter what i've done I lock.. Its usually folding bthe higher pt valued A1 cores, 2000+pts

Are the lockups cause by Folding? Are they caused by the RAM? Do you know what causes the lockups?

I mean without at least testing 64 Bit even for 30 days to see if it will make your machine work better there is now way to really know if that would resolve your issues.

I mean yeah you could go 64 Bit and be able to use all the RAM and everything you have. But that doesnt mean that it will fix teh lockups you are getting.

I mean without knowing what is causing the lockups there is no way to even say 64 Bit is teh right choice other than to get full use of what you have.

It only happens, as far as I know, folding.

I'm 26hr prime stable, 20 Intelburn stable, and last check, 2 weeks ago, 16hrss memtest error free.

I'm trying to narrow it down, so RAM seems possible... maybe

Well if you have run MemTest86+ for 16 hours i wouldnt think so. Unless you test each module separately.

Have you tried to turn off folding for a while to see if it stops? If so then that would be a sure sign.

Yha, 16hrs memtest, dropped my oc to 3.1 and my vcores upto 1.4!

I haven't stopped smp, but only running smp i locked up.

The odd part is it had issues, found out my oc really wasn't stable, bumped my vcore, and primed for 26hr.. After that it ran 3 or 4 weeks straight, then issues now again.

I guess I'll shutdown my smp, i'll loose less than 2k ppd.... but thats 1 590x gpu unit.

I am gona say folding in a VM while it will gain you point's is not something that can de done you have to tweak the install, I muck about with VM's all the time and I have to be honest foldding is somthing I am not into but I have seen people say that it's caused everything from lock up's to total crashes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom