Detailed info on computers? Does a site exist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayce

Fully Optimized
I'm not talking about processor speed or any of that basic stuff, I'm trying to track down what's different in this scenario.

So the library has older computers, Compaq Evo D51s.

I have a spare computer at my desk, a Compaq Evo D5s. They looked identical and I made an image and cloned it using FOG. But the D51s just continues to reboot itself, failing to boot to the hard drive after imaging.

I copied an image from a D51s to a D5s, and the same thing occurs. There's definitely some sort of a hardware difference here. I'm trying to track down where exactly it could be, just for my own learning purposes.

Anybody have any idea?

Obvious answer: have you checked HP's website for the specs? Or just done a general google search to see what the configs are?

Yeah, I have. The only thing I can find are the OS options it came with along with hard drive size options and processor speed options.

I can't find anything to say it uses this chipset, that motherboard, this processor, etc.

I'm just trying to figure out why the D51s and D5s act differently. But one thing I did figure out (I think) was this.

All I can find on Compaq's web site is the D500 and D510. I found a naming convention site regarding it and the S stands for Small Form Factor, which they are. I think in my case they simply just dropped the zeros. Meaning:

D5s = D500 Small Form Factor
D51s = D510 Small Form Factor

So I think that's where the difference is in these systems. Of course I can't find out the D500 and D510 are different besides that little tid bit right there...

I noticed something that kind of made sense. Anybody who images computers knows that if you drop the hard drive in another computer of a very different model, it'll bluescreen on you.

Example - I clone an HP dc5000 and put that hard drive in a Dell Optiplex 755. Well, changes are Windows will crap its pants and bluescreen on me.

I was confused over why the D5s didn't bluescreen when I had the D51s image on it. It would simply reboot with nothing on the screen.

Well, I guess the CRT it was hooked up to was just too darn slow. I had a D5s hooked up to my work bench where I have a Dell LCD monitor to test computers with. For a split second before it reboots, it shows a bluescreen, then it reboots that instant. I guess the CRT that it was originally hooked up to didn't have a quick enough response time to display the blue screen, whereas the LCD did for a split second. So that at least takes away some confusion I had. I expected a blue screen hangup like that to STAY instead of rebooting after half a second, but whatever.

By default a BSOD will auto restart. You have to change that option within Windows to stop it from exhibiting that behavior for it not to restart.

More than likely it is a Driver issue for like a network card or video controller. Maybe even the chipset.

Well, at least that clears things up! For future reference I'll grab a D510 (D51s) and make an image of it to keep on file, so that way I have one of each model handy.

Gahh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom