Tiny crash course in GPUs help

Status
Not open for further replies.

caltraskoo

Baseband Member
Just wondering, someone told me that 512MB DDR3> 1G DDR3. I would like to know why.
Also, I noticed that Nivedia has higher clock speeds but lower (much lower) amounts of stream processors. Is that why ATI > Nividia?
128-256 bit what are that?
What should I look for in a GPU?
Core clock speed
Memory
Memory Speed
Stream Processor
Direct X10

For those that seen my Phenom x3 cheap build topic, would the Radeon HD4670 1G of DDR3 be better than a Saphire sub of 512 of DDR3? (difference I believe is the 4670 has 320 instead of640, 128 bit to256. This is going to mainly run cod4 and cod6 at at least 1024x768, pref 1200x1000 reses

For starters, don't worry about the GPU clocks or the shaders and all that. they are just numbers are not much else. One GPU may have high numbers, but another is much more efficient and does more with lower numbers. If you want to compare cards, use the list in the first post of this thread.

As for memory on the card, the higher the better, up to a gig. Once you cross that threshold it seems to be a minus rather than a plus.

128 vs 256 bit is the amount of data the card can (theoretically) push through at one time. If the motherboard is not up to snuff, the transfer rate will be limited by the mobo. The higher the number on this the better, but current cards don't completely saturate the channel, so it is not a big deal. if you go under 128 it can slow you down.

GDDR is just the type of RAM cards use. GDDR 5 > GDDR3 > GDDR2... etc. As for your card question, you are comparing... what? Two different 4670s with different amounts of RAM? The gig will be better for you than the 512. If it is different GPUs, check the list in the ranking thread.

The 4830 will outperform the 4670 (#19 vs #27). Which the memory is greater on the 4670, the difference in GPU will make up for it.

Apollo seems to be a decent brand. There's just not a lot of them out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom