Upgrading Suggestions? Yup Houston we've got problems.!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HAVOC

Fully Optimized
So, my current system has been giving me fits lately.

havoc's system specs said:
Windows XP Pro SP2 - ASUS A8N32 Deluxe - Opteron 180 - 2GiG DDR3500 - HD 4850X2 - WD 320GB - WD 1TB - Sony Blu-Ray Player - Asus DVD Multidrive - X-Fi Fatality Sound Card - 700W Seasonic PSU - Antec P180 Case

Now the problem is stemming from a bad PCI slot. It's got some discoloration on it and is causing my PC to BSOD at random times. At boot windows reports new hardware / PCI device which I've track down to being the sound card. All drivers are installed and current. I've tried Uninstall & Reinstall. I've unseated and reseated the card. I CAN NOT move the sound card to another PCI slot due to my double slot video card. It's just not gonna work.

Tonight my GF called me at work and it seems that the PC wouldn't boot to windows for her. I walked her through a few things. She told me there were BSOD's. Windows was freezing at the loading screen. I got her to boot successfully to safe mode. Then she was able to then boot windows to normal mode.

SO! I'm TRIED OF THIS CRAP! It's time to upgrade.

I only have about $600 USD to spend. I'm going to obviously use some of what I already own above.

This PC is GAMING, GAMING, GAMING... Here's what I'm thinking.

CPU: Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X4 940 Deneb 3.0GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Black Edition Processor - Processors - Desktops
MOBO: Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-MA790GP-UD4H AM2+/AM2 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards
RAM: Newegg.com - mushkin 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1000 (PC2 8000) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory
OS: Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 64-bit for System Builders - Operating Systems

I would back up what I really need on my current system and format and start fresh.

Please let me know what you think about this upgrade. If you think you have a better suggestion that will keep me under $600. I'd appreciated it.

Thanks in Advance.

I'm guessing this combo?

The RAM looks good, but drop the Vista Ultimate and go for the Home Premium. The "extras" ain't worth the price difference.

You could grab an extra set of that RAM since you will be going 64-bit. ;) Other than that it looks good. I may try hitting you up for your old CPU and/or RAM if I can find some dough, though. :D

Yeah, you're right. I forgot about that, but I still think this is the better option. You're going to have to go 64 bit eventually, and you'll be ready when it happens. Besides, you could get 64 bit vista "free" from your "friends."

Other than that it looks good. I may try hitting you up for your old CPU and/or RAM if I can find some dough, though. :D

If you are really interested after I've upgraded I will absolutely make you a sweet deal. Both the Opteron 180 and the Corsair 3500lls will be yours. I'll PM you once I upgrade and we can chat on the phone and negotiate a good price.

OK. so if I went with the i7 and the 3gig of Triple channel ram, what about if I used Windows 7 beta? I know that would probably be head ache after head ache... But by the time win & was available, I could certainly upgrade to the full version. Thoughts?

Yep, 32-bit can only handle 3.5GB of RAM, period.

OK, I officially love you now. :D

YGPM.

OK. so if I went with the i7 and the 3gig of Triple channel ram, what about if I used Windows 7 beta? I know that would probably be head ache after head ache... But by the time win & was available, I could certainly upgrade to the full version. Thoughts?
Couldn't hurt. you would have probably have to format and reinstall once it finally comes out, but it is plenty stable enough as is.

The Windows 7 beta is really good already, I don't think you would have many problem using it as a primary os.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom