Building soon :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dumpy

In Runtime
im going to start building very soon, but i just have a few quick questions about the build hikaricloud did for me :)

Newegg.ca - BIOSTAR TFORCE TA790GX 128M AM2+/AM2 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards
Newegg.ca - CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies
Newegg.ca - OCZ Reaper HPC Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory
Newegg.ca - AMD Phenom II X3 720 2.8GHz 3 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Black Processor - Processors - Desktops

just a few questions. Is this overclock-able at all?nothing extreame just.. basic? and unless its nto that much of a save can someone suggest good ram other then 4 gigs i dont need that much RIGHT now, so id like to save that little bit to:p but if its not that much more expensive then never mind, and i dont know much about it.. but would i be able to setting with a smaller PSU to save money? or is that good ? and this case
Newegg.ca - Rosewill R363-M-BK Micro Black Ultra High Gloss Finished ATX Computer Case with 400W ATX 2.2 12V Power Supply - Computer Cases
good bad suggestions?

Thanks! : )

Idealy you should have put this in the original thread, there is a possibility it will be merged by a mod.
hikaricloud's build is good, you shouldn't doubt that. 650W is more than enough even if you plan on getting two GPUs. Cutting down from 4GB to 2GB won't save you much. This should be a decent case: Newegg.ca - Tagan CS-A+Curbic Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases it looks like a slightly cheaper elite 330 with an additional side panel fan.

thanks :) about the overclocking tho.. is that do-able? i dont wanna go nuts l but maybe take it from 2.8 to 3 to 3.5 unless thats pushing it?

EDIT: i dont plan on getting 2 gpu's btw im pretty much just going to use the onboard. originally i asked for a mid ranged gaming rig but i changed my mind, so thats why i was just wondering about the changes

Overclocking is very possible but it's an inexact science - not everybody gets the same results. Hikari managed to get his to 3.5 but that's by no means a guarantee that you will.
If you are going to be using integrated graphics then 650W is mad.

yeah lol, iv never overclocked before so i can say with confidence i have not the slightest clue on what to do or how to do it lol. i dont plan on using integrated for the whole time but just most untill theres either a game i really wanna play of if i come acrossed a good card for a good deal. so.. suggestions? :p

Couple of things....what are you going to use this for now if not gaming? Might be overkill going with the phenom II build if you're not going to use it for anything special.

Also, buy from ncix.com instead of newegg.ca, they gouge of shipping and ncix.com has a price match, read this thread for an example:

http://www.techist.com/forums/f76/clueless-dad-seeks-help-gaming-build-204040/index2.html

Lastly, if you're buying soon and don't plan on doing much of an OC then wait for a Wednesday night, ncix.com has some good sales on usually and you can probably save a few bucks by getting some cheaper parts. For now I'd look at these components to shave a few bucks off:

Motherboard (the biostar isn't offered at NCIX): NCIX.com - Buy Gigabyte MA790X-UD4P ATX AM3 AMD790X DDR2 CrossFireX 2PCI-E 2PCI SATA2 Sound GBLAN Motherboard - GA-MA790X-UD4P In Canada.
RAM 4gb, $35 after MIR: NCIX.com - Buy Patriot Viper Extreme Performance 4GB DDR2 2X2GB PC2-6400 DDR2-800 CL 4-4-4-12 Memory Kit - PVS24G6400LLK In Canada.
PSU corsair 450:NCIX.com - Buy Corsair VX450 450W ATX 12V 33A 24PIN ATX Power Supply Active PFC 120MM Fan - CMPSU-450VX In Canada.

Anyways, those prices could change tomorrow night, i'd check out their webpage around 10pm est tomorrow and see what's on sale.

Once you get your cart figured out go to shopbot.ca and look up each item to see where its sold cheapest and then price-match to it to save some spare $$$.

i wont be doing this for about a little less then a month or so , but thanks il remeber that :)

Oh yeah, if you're in no hurry then get an idea what you want and every wednesday tune into ncix.com and their specials and on a week where a couple of compatible items work out for you then pull the trigger. I always watch for a free shipping promotion on a product as that will knock atleast $40 off a full order shipment which usually includes the case. Last week they were selling $20 gift cards for $20...but the entire shipment would be free. So i ordered a couple of full systems for builds i had to do and added the $20 card. regular shipping would have been $45....this way i get it for free and the two cards i'll just use anyways with my next order,so ultimately worked out to free shipping for both orders.

Anyways, no worries, glad i could help....have to watch each other's backs us Canadians :p the exchange is bad enough as it is without paying extra on other stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom