BIOS Does Not Recognize HD Size

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, windows xp sp1 booted up fine after I formatted the new HD. I was able to add SP2 and SP 3 and any other updates Microsoft recommended. However, BIOS was only registering 6375MB as the HD size. I let it go, had no way of changing this figure. After using the new drive for a few months all of the sudden I got the black screen with disk error and ctrl-alt-delete to reboot. It would not reboot. I could press F2 to get into the bios but there was nothing there for me to change. Even going back to the windows reinstall disk I could not get it to boot. The HD is recognized in the BIOS but it does not do its thing once I escape BIOS. That's where things stand now.

Yeah, well, ok, so the MB is "old." But the REAL question I am interested in is:

"How do I get the HD to BOOT?"

I am less concerned about size of the drive being recognized.

Is there a way I can repair or reload the boot sector without destroying data?

Any recommendations?

If you must try, reformat the big HDD into a much smaller partition, make it about 40 GB and load windows onto that. If that works, then partition the rest in 40 GB chunks ... that might work.

Still, if windows can identify the whole thing, then at least part of it is working. Perhaps the BIOS runs out of "room" to look for boot disk but it can actually handle a larger disk (in theory) - buffer overflow.

Btw, that's what we like to call a WAG - Wild Ace Guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom