cpu: i7 920
mb: gigabye x58 ud3r
ram: 3gb of g-skill ram ddr3
hd: 640gb wd
case: antec 300
v card: hd 4850
ps: ~80 left in budget for this

Im gonna use ncix with price matching to get it
That's also a viable option if he wants an Intel build. However, you're still going to be a bit more than $80 for a good PSU and there's still the OS to get which is another $150+.

Also, Hikari, I just noticed that your build doesn't have a a PSU listed, so that puts the price right back at $1140 ish :/

That's also a viable option if he wants an Intel build. However, you're still going to be a bit more than $80 for a good PSU and there's still the OS to get which is another $150+.

Also, Hikari, I just noticed that your build doesn't have a a PSU listed, so that puts the price right back at $1140 ish :/

Well he will only need a quality 500W PSU like NCIX.com - Buy Silverstone Strider ST50F 500W ATX12V 24PIN Power Supply W/120MM Fan Active PFC - SST-ST50F In Canada. which can be had for about $75 after price match

Also if hes a student he can get vista for like $70 but ya still a bit over i guess

Oh my bad, it's in the cart, but I didn't link it. Lemme fix that.
So price still stays at $1,013 or so? That's good then...
Well he will only need a quality 500W PSU like NCIX.com - Buy Silverstone Strider ST50F 500W ATX12V 24PIN Power Supply W/120MM Fan Active PFC - SST-ST50F In Canada. which can be had for about $75 after price match

Also if hes a student he can get vista for like $70 but ya still a bit over i guess
A 500W seems a bit low for an i7 build. I'm also having a hard time with $1000 CAD getting a build like that. I guess the video card is a bit cheaper, but....

Links would be great, or else he won't know where to get it! ;)

Well. I'm no build expert and I don't usually post builds as there are others around here who know this stuff better than I. But for a fellow Canadian I'll stick my nose in with my 2 cents. So, going with what was mentioned above here is what i'd do.

Buy from NCIX.com instead of newegg.ca, newegg is very good but they charge an arm and a leg for shipping and handling to Canada. Also, ncix.com will price match while newegg wont.

- Wait until Wednesday night around 10pm EST, NCIX.com releases their newest sale, frequently they have very good time sensitive sales.
- Add the items I want to my cart and then start the price match option
- Use shopbot.ca to enter each item in and find the cheapest online retailer in the country (double check the links as sometimes on occasion they don't have the correct price).
- Enter the links and prices into ncix's price match and voila, you're done and you've saved on components, taxes and possibly S&H.

So just to compare, from newegg.ca the above phenom II rig would cost me $1,211.81-$30.00 MIR after adding over $200 in S&H and taxes!!!! (hikaricloud just needs to add an psu to his build)

Use these links as an example of what you'd use to price match NCIX:

Antec 300 - $51: Buy ANTEC [THREE HUNDRED] Antec Three Hundred Mini Tower Gaming Case 300 ATX 3X5.25 6X3.5INT No PS Front USB & Audio
Vista home premium - $129: beDirecT.ca
GH22LP20BLACK - $30: GH22LP20BLACK LIGHTSCIRBE SUPER MULTI 22X PATA - CDR from Onhop Online Computer Store at Onhop.ca
HDD WD 640BG - $82: WD6400AACS 640GB CAVIAR GREEN SATA II from Onhop Online Computer Store at Onhop.ca
Sapphire 4870 1GB - $235: Newegg.ca - SAPPHIRE 100259-1GL Radeon HD 4870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
Patriot viper extreme 4GB PC6400 - $35 (MIR): NCIX.com - Buy Patriot Viper Extreme Performance 4GB DDR2 2X2GB PC2-6400 DDR2-800 CL 4-4-4-12 Memory Kit - PVS24G6400LLK In Canada.
AMD Phenom II X3 720 - $176: Buy AMD [HDZ720WFGIBOX] AMD Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition Triple Core Processor AM3 2.8GHZ 7.5MB Cache 95W 45NM Retail Box
Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4P - $136: 1click2computers - Buy Mfg's Part-#:GA-MA790X-UD4P online in Canada
PSU corsair 650tx - $120 (-$24 MIR): Corsair TX650W 650W Atx 12V 52A 24PIN Atx Power Supply Active Pfc 120MM Fan - DirectCanada

Total after taxes and S&H = $1,1141,61 - $49.00MIR

You'll save about $100. You could also probably knock a bit more off that if you wait till Wednesdays sale and see what pops us. Their good stuff from this past week is already gone, limited quantities and all.

If someone could just confirm the motherboard and RAM, the biostar mentioned above isn't offered by ncix so i had to find something else and the RAM was on sale so added it instead.

[edit] dang...like 8 posts got in there since i started typing...lol, too many words.

I think getting the components u want and price matching before the sale is a better idea because sale items can only be put in your cart for 3 mins (if people buy things out that fast). That way if u find something u like from the sale u can add it and just drop w/e u dont need easily

Yup...if you're dead set on that item. I usually put in the stuff i know i'm going to get then have an idea of what i need which i then shop for quickly. But if you go on around 9-10pm EST you usually have a bit of time as most items won't sell out imediately. Atleast recently they haven't had any insane sales.

Here is what i was looking at for an i7 build without a drive or OS:

I7 is possible for under $1200 if no DVD or OS, after taxes I get $1,168.00 after price match.

Antec 300, i7 920, WD 640GB, Giga x58-ud3r, gtx 250, 3GB OCZ gold….

But you're taking a hit on the gpu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom