please suggest 700-800$ build. Non gaming, no overclocking

Status
Not open for further replies.
I kind of agree with Havoc.

To me the only reason to own a desktop now days is to either game on or benchmarking.

For your regular everyday stuff, why not a note book.

It is your desktop at home and it can be taken with you.

That's a great build. Only part I would change is the case and that's personal preference (I wouldn't pay $90 for something that looks like that and came with a PSU that I would throw away as soon as I got it).

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the case, but I figured the PSU could be a backup, and the case has free shipping, which was a plus. :p The one without a PSU didn't have free shipping, so there was no point in getting it. I would get the NXZT Apollo instead if I had to choose, though. It is cheaper after all.

Newegg.com - NZXT Apollo Black SECC Steel Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

For $700-$800 you could get a pretty good notebook.
Newegg.com - SAMSUNG R610-64G NoteBook Intel Core 2 Duo T5800(2.00GHz) 16" 3GB Memory DDR2 800 250GB HDD 5400rpm Dual layer DVD Burner NVIDIA GeForce 9200M GS - Laptops / Notebooks

I mean for Documents, Music, Video and Internet... Do you need a desktop? I don't think so.

Plus, he'll get portability.

I disagree, I find that laptops have inferior support for OSs they didn't come with and you have a higher dependency on the peripherals such as screen and keyboard; if the laptop screen breaks, you basically have to get a new PC.
You also have a lack of expansion, slower HDDs, inferior cooling, inferior processors and other internals for the same money.
I would say that unless you require the portability it's better to get a desktop.

I disagree, I find that laptops have inferior support for OSs they didn't come with and you have a higher dependency on the peripherals such as screen and keyboard; if the laptop screen breaks, you basically have to get a new PC.
You also have a lack of expansion, slower HDDs, inferior cooling, inferior processors and other internals for the same money.
I would say that unless you require the portability it's better to get a desktop.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion.

Although, I have a $549 Acer notebook that is provided to me by my employer and I can honestly say that I've never had any issues with what you stated.

I use it for exactly what the original poster intends for a desktop.

It's just an option. That's all.

I can see what you are saying, Havoc. I'm a big fan of having a nice desktop and maybe a small netbook to do normal stuff, since you could spend a load of money on a laptop and it will suck within a year in comparison to new stuff, and you'll be stuck without upgrading it.

In this case though, since the build we have is way under their budget, and it can easily be upgraded to a gaming build later on, that it's worth it.

Woah St. Ignatious. Druid do you live in the bay area?

I live in Brunswick, Ohio. I think Ignatious is like an hour drive away or something. All I know is this dude has a long car ride to get there.

I live in Brunswick, Ohio. I think Ignatious is like an hour drive away or something. All I know is this dude has a long car ride to get there.

Oh nevermind, there is a St. Ignatious high school in cali too and I thought you were talking about that one.

Hey guys,
We have built the computer yesterday. I have gone with the Hikaricloud suggestions and GFX card suggested by Trotter. The system powers up and everything seems to run fine. The only big problem is that the system doesn't see the hard drive. I don't see it in Bios nor does the Vista see it. I connected it by sata cable and power cable. I have tried different cables and get the same result. Before I assume that it is a bad hard drive and send it back is there anything else I could try?

Thank you again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom