Amd x3 720

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackmoore

Daemon Poster
I have a quick question, I am really considering the AMD X3 720, (I wish I could do the i7 but I don't think there is any way my budget will allow it) my question is whether or not its advantageous to go with a AMD3 board and DDR3 vs an AMD2+ Board like the Biostar Combo and DD2 Ram? I know there is an obvious price difference, but if I go with an AMD3 Board won't there be a much better potential for upgrade ability in the future should I decide to go with an X4 940 or anything else AMD rolls out with?

The Biostar combo is all you need mate. It's an amazing board, and you don't need DDR3 RAM. They seem to be making AM3 backwards compatible with the higher end AM2+ boards, and that Biostar TA790GX 128M is about as awesome as they get at that price range. It will also support an X4 940 no sweat, but if you want that, you may just want to start out with that.

Will the Phenom II X4 940 work with any AMD2+ boards? Or must it say Phenom II in the mobo specs?

Each board is different, they have supported CPU lists. But I all 790 boards support the x4 940. The Biostar TA790GX 128M is especially a great board, I own it with an x3 720 right now.

I think I'll take your advice and get the Biostar TA790GX 180M. Its a great deal for a great price. It also allows me to go with the X3 720 or the X4 940 depending on my money situation. One question though, will it do SLI? I don't plan do do it right off but I might in the future.

And the only way you can get the x58 is with an i7 build.

But like I said, there's always crossfire with ATI cards, and price wise, they're giving nVidia a run for their money.

With AMD going on their current streak, their newer AM3 chips should still work with the Biostar I mentioned. But I find it's easier to build for the next few years, and then if you need to upgrade, you got your money's worth out of it. In a few years, they could be to the next socket, who knows?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom