PC Optimization Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeoMagic33

Baseband Member
Hi guys

was wondering if somebody could help me out with optimizing the speed and load times of my home pc....

So why...

I have my own pc at uni and that runs 24-7 and is occasionally rebooted by myself just to install updates etc. but ive always noticed that the load times of windows xp and when i double click icon (my docs) for example loads almsot instantly. Why is this?
Uni PC is dual core 3.0ghz, 3gb RAM

My home PC is a far superior machine Quad Core 6600 and 4GB RAM but at times its dead slow on load up and when it boots it take a good couple of mins before i can do anything when windows is actually loaded.

Why is this?

ANy help would be great.

cheers

neo

Make sure to disable any start up programs or services you don't need. Google windows xp tweaks, there will probably be some registry edits and whatnot

press the windows logo and r at the same time, type in msconfig, goto the startup tab, like third said, disable any non-necessary startup programs.
The weird thing is, my machine is pretty bad, but it boots in like 20 Seconds with no special tweeks

1. disable unnecessary windows services and startup programs
2. make sure you have enough RAM (I'd get 4-8GB; It's cheap), and disable paging file (hard drives are much slower than RAM, you don't want it to use paging file)
3. use programs that are fast and responsive (do NOT under any circumstances use Norton antivirus)
4. it helps to have a drive dedicated to your OS and programs
5. learn how to not get infected by viruses/worms/spyware/malware, and to remove it manually if your system does get infected. this reduces the load put on your system from viruses/worms/spyware/malware, and from lack of need for programs to combat them.

press the windows logo and r at the same time, type in msconfig, goto the startup tab, like third said, disable any non-necessary startup programs.
The weird thing is, my machine is pretty bad, but it boots in like 20 Seconds with no special tweeks

apparently you shouldn't use msconfig as a startup amanger, its more of a diagnosis tool, and can mess things up in certain circumstances! its best to use a dedicated tool, there a re millions around!. plus msconfig does not show all start up entrys anyway.

What kind of hard drive do you have? The hard drive is the culprit in slowing systems these days. My guess is, you just have a lot of information (possibly very fragmented) and your home PC just takes longer to sort through it all. Any of the above suggestions will help improve your performance some.

apparently you shouldn't use msconfig as a startup amanger
whoever said that doesn't know what they're talking about

its more of a diagnosis tool, and can mess things up in certain circumstances!
If you only use the startup tab, there's no chance of messing things up. The only thing it does is stop programs from opening when you start up. Which you can then open yourself.

its best to use a dedicated tool, there a re millions around!.
msconfig is a dedicated tool

plus msconfig does not show all start up entrys anyway.
just about. there's only a couple of things it would hide.

If you really wanted to see everything, there's always regedit, and these keys:
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom