4850 high temps...vga cooler sugguestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

james.wired

Equator Gringo
I have two for crossfire and the top one is the one that I have my monitor plugged to. When I am playing games for a while or even begin to fold, it jumps to 78c, the other runs at a cool 49c. On Idle they are both at around 44c. I use the Thermaltake M9 and a Core Contact Freezer and they provide really good cooling for the rest of the parts not to mention I am in an air conditioned room all of the time that the comp is on. I am just worried about that one card. Is it fine or should I grab a cooler just in case? Any suggestions? I have managed to find two but I was hoping to get some input.

Sparkle VDT2000 VGA Cooler
Zalman Z-MACHINE GV1000

it is common for the card that is connected to your monitor to run hotter than your other card in sli or crossfire how ever you might want to make sure the airflow between the cards isnt obstructed in some way and mabye get a intake or exhaust fan for them depending on your case

Nearly 30c higher is a pretty good jump though wouldn't you say? As I said in my previous post, Thermaltake m9 with a core contact freezer, that brings it to three 120mm fans and plus the one fan each on the gpu's and my room air conditioning at 30c. It might just be a tight fit for my mobo to have crossfire. The first card's fan is pretty close to sitting on top of the other card's backside. I guess it is just blowing hot air right back at itself? Do you think a 90-120mm side panel intake fan be suffice? The fan would have excellent sitting to target that area. I guess I was thinking that it isn't a simple fix.. I tend to think the worst haha.

haha yea well try it out both on intake and exhaust and yea it sounds like the air is just hanging around and getting sucked back over and over and really isnt being expelled and its just getting hotter, and yea that is a large jump but try the fan out and see how that works if that doesnt do the trick you might need to do some case mods so you can pull that hot air away

I will pick up a 120mm fan to place on the lower part of the side panel. Is making the intake or exhause just a matter of turning the fan one way or the other?

that should work fine to switch between the two but dont hold me to that idk how the brackets are on your case

Those temps seem fine for an HD 4850... if you don't mind a little bit of noise, up the fan speed of one using CCC (Catalyst Control Center)

But if you really want an aftermarket cooler, the Arctic Accelero S1, the VF1000 are really nice ones and finally the Thermalright HR-03 cooler (its passive but it has some great temps for a passive cooler)

If you also find a person who's selling their HD 3850 Ultimate, it has a nice passive cooler that is compatible with the HD 4850

I don't follow you...I am asking what makes the difference between exhaust and intake. So in order to make an intake or exhaust, I am guessing it is just a matter of screwing the fan to face one way or another? It is not a bracket case on the side panel, just hole placements that match 80-120mm fans.

EDIT: post was for heister, right when I submited I saw your post vernong.
Thanks for the info I will try the CCC and get back.

But still, I am curious about fan placement for exhaust and intake?

ah well k yea then it should be how you screw it on some cases have a bracket that only allows fans to go in one way cuz of the wire

I will try the CCC first and then a new fan. I am looking at these after market coolers and am wondering how wide they can be because it is already a tight sit with top card's fan a few mm away from the back of the second card. Vernong, are they made pretty thin?

Edit: answered my own question, Arctic Cooling Accelero S1 VGA Cooler | silentpcreview.com the last picture on the bottom holy crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom