Computer noise questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeoMagic33

Baseband Member
Hi fellas

was wondering if somebody could give me some advice on the following

OK:

upgraded PC last June, however has some issues with hd but now sorted. Theres noise coming from the PC and I am presuming its the CPU Fan or the PSU. CPU is the Artic 7 Cooling Fan not too sure bout PSU.

Was wondering how do i make the noise go away and i like to leave pc on overnight and at time i hear it when sleeping and wakes me.

Ive a PC at work and that runs 24-7 with no noise at all

Any advice?

thanks

Neo

Open up the case and then turn the computer on. Listen to try to determine where exactly the sound is coming from.

Check the fans for dust. Sometimes they can get off balance. You can clean them with a can of compressed air. If it sounds more like metal you could have some problem with bearings and would need to replace the fans.

The noise level this fan produces is 28.2 dBA, a whisper is about 30dBA where as breathing is about 10dBA. This fan will certainly be heard when there is no other ambient noise around the computer is only a few metres away. In the office the ambient noise level is probably around 60dBA equivalent to that of people talking at a normal level. So this will conceal the noise of fans on a PC.

If the dust levels are high but this does not make it quiet enough, I would say invest in a quieter heat sink and fan. Aim for one around 16dBA and you could also try to find a quieter PSU. Also you could do with some variable setting system fans which can be turned down at night.

You've probably already checked this but see if there are any loose wires/cables that may be up against one of the fans.

As mentioned if the noise sounds like a metal vibration check that all your screws are in tight, a loose screw, stand off or fastener somewhere can vibrate and make noise if loose.

And just to emphasize what's been said...a can of compressed air does wonders for the comp.

Every fan generates some noise. The key is to find which fan(s) is making the noise and address it. If it is dust, the canned air will get it. If it is the bearing, or just a loud fan, it should be replaced with a quiter model.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom