New Build Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Princepapa

Solid State Member
Hey everyone. I know these threads come up daily, and on the one hand I'm sorry for adding to it, but I just can't click the buy button without getting more advice than a few friends who kinda know stuff. I'm buying a new computer with my tax return (the one time in the year I'm happy for federal with-holdings). I'm looking to spend around $500. I already have a GPU (4850 1gb) so that isn't part of the cost, which makes the $500 a bit more doable. I'm a gamer, and I want to be able to play anything out there currently and be safe for a few years while not having to worry about complex bios setting etc. I don't particularly care about O/Cing. I'm happy if I never have to go into the bios. Could you guys let me know what you think of this build please? I'm happy to take advice, esp on the motherboard and processor, as that's where I'm really torn right now. Also, I already have 1 of the listed HD, so I'm not worried about space being an issue, and I'm happy with the drive.
Thanks a lot, you guys helped me with my video card choice and I didn't regret it, any advice you guys have is welcome.

Case Newegg.com - Sunbeam Silent Storm IC-SS-SVBK Black/Silver Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases $50
PSU Newegg.com - Rosewill RP600V2-S-SL 600W ATX12V v2.01 SLI Ready Power Supply - Power Supplies $60
MoBo Newegg.com - DFI LANPARTY DK 790FX-M2RS AM2+/AM2 AMD 790FX ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards $120
OR Newegg.com - Foxconn A79A-S AM2+/AM2 AMD 790FX ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards $140
CPU Newegg.com - AMD Phenom 9850 2.5GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 2MB L3 Cache Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Black Edition Processor - Processors - Desktops $120
RAM Newegg.com - CORSAIR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory $45 -$25
HD Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives $65
DVDRW Newegg.com - LG Black 22X (CAV) DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 22X (CAV) DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 22X DVD±R DVD Burner - CD / DVD Burners $25

Thanks for the advice hikaricloud, I took some of your advice and reworked the build. I don't think I'm going to go crossfire. From what I've read there isn't enough of a performance increase to make it work the extra power and heat often times. I figure I can afford a "new" graphics card when it comes down to it a few years from now and not have to worry about the downsides.

case $50 Newegg.com - NZXT Apollo Black SECC Steel Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

mobo $120 Newegg.com - DFI LANPARTY DK 790FX-M2RS AM2+/AM2 AMD 790FX ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards
or $105 Newegg.com - BIOSTAR TFORCE TA790GX 128M AM2+/AM2 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards

HD $65 Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST3500320AS 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives
or $70 Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD5001AALS 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives I've been a WD man for years, and will pay the extra $5 to stay that way if all other things are equal.

PSU $60 Newegg.com - Rosewill RP600V2-S-SL 600W ATX12V v2.01 SLI Ready Power Supply - Power Supplies
or $70 Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-450VX 450W ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies

I would prefer quad core over triple core.
CPU $120 Newegg.com - AMD Phenom 9850 2.5GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 2MB L3 Cache Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Black Edition Processor - Processors - Desktops combo w/ Newegg.com - BIOSTAR TFORCE TA790GX 128M AM2+/AM2 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards saves $50

RAM $45 Newegg.com - G.SKILL PI Black 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory this is faster than the next, but is the speed increase worth the price difference?
or $20 Newegg.com - CORSAIR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

I'm trying to find a happy medium between price and well known brands as well. I've had an off brand PSU for 4 years that has ran 24/7 without a hitch, so I'm not that concerned in that respect. I did notice that the new CPU I picked makes a point of saying that it's 125w. Will the PSU I picked handle that?
Thanks again.

The triple core I pointed out to you outperforms that old quad core by a good bit. If you are dead set on a quad core, than go with this one instead:

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

But realize the price difference, it's much higher. That's the fastest AMD on on the market right now. The x3 720 is the best deal money wise right now, since it's about 75 bucks cheaper than that. Just trust me, you really don't want to pick up an old phenom. Besides, the one you have picked out is OEM, no hsf included.

Also, you have to think that the extra core doesn't mean you're going to see a performance increase in games. The 720 is a **** of a gaming chip already, especially since it can be easily overclocked, even on a stock HSF. I've hit a max of 3.775ghz (almost a fill 1ghz overclock), and right now I have it steadily running at 3.5ghz without a hitch. The old phenom you have won't overclock well at all, which won't help you in games. It's really a waste of money.

That PSU is ok, Rosewill technically isn't an off brand. It will handle everything you have fine.

The memory, I guess it doesn't matter that much. The PI Blacks are the best overclocking sticks of RAM on the market at the moment...and they end up being the same price before MIR. So if you don't care about dealing with an MIR, be my guest. Corsair is a good brand.

I'd also stick with the Biostar, don't get the DFI. The upshot to the Biostar is if your card ever blows up, you have a backup onboard, and it has overclocking options out the wazoo.

If you feel more comfortable with WD, go for it. The Black series is good stuff.

Like I said, I still highly recommend the 720. It's basically a 940 with the fourth core disabled, trust me, it's a great CPU.

Go with this combo:
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

It's with that Biostar 790gx, I've used it for a build and it's great. Don't get that Phenom 9850, they're old and they do not run as well as the Phenom II. So get the PHenom II 940, it's AMD's best quad so far.

Stick with Corsair power supplies, they're good quality.
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX 550W ATX12V V2.2 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies
I'd get a 550 if you decide to overclock, it will consume more power.

The G Skill PI Blacks would be the best choice. They have low timings, and run low voltage.

Ok, I think I'm closing in on it here. I'm going to take the advice on the triple core. If no one sees any problem with anything else, my only question is about the PSU. The Corsair PSU is 50w less, is that going to make a difference if I do overclock? Would you guys still recommend that one over the 600w rosewill?

case $50 Newegg.com - NZXT Apollo Black SECC Steel Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

PSU $60 Newegg.com - Rosewill RP600V2-S-SL 600W ATX12V v2.01 SLI Ready Power Supply - Power Supplies
or $70 Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX 550W ATX12V V2.2 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies

MB/CPU $186 Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

HD $70 Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD5001AALS 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives OEM

RAM $45 Newegg.com - G.SKILL PI Black 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

DVD/RW $25 Newegg.com - LG Black 22X (CAV) DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 22X (CAV) DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 22X DVD±R DVD Burner - CD / DVD Burners OEM

Therm $9 Newegg.com - Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - Thermal Compound / Grease

I may need an sata cable for the DVD drive and the HD, but I've never had cable shortages in the past, even when buying OEM stuff.

What do you guys think about the PSU? If I will need cables, what kind should I get? Thanks for being patient with a former computer nerd who is now pathetically out of touch.

You can't beat Corsair quality, that's for sure. You'll probably get more true power out of the 550w. I think it's worth it. Also, the efficiency of that PSU is up to 85%, while the Rosewill is 72%, which is oddly low. That means it will save you on your electric bill. ;) So that extra cost will get paid back in the long run.

Also, don't bother getting the arctic silver stuff. It's good and all, but the CPU comes with stuff on it already, and it works fine. If you are thinking about an aftermarket HSF solution, go with this bad boy:

Newegg.com - Sunbeam CR-CCTF 120 mm Core-Contact Freezer CPU Cooler W/TX-2 - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

One of the best HSF kits on the market. And it comes with TX-2, which is actually better than AS5.

I'm glad you're going with the 720. Trust me mate, you won't be disappointed. If you grab the Core Contact there, you could probably hit 4ghz no sweat, especially on that board. Like I said, I hit nearly 3.8 on stock. You could probably do at 3.8 as a 24/7 overclock, just check the temperatures, and make sure you have good airflow in the case.

As for cables, they come with the motherboard. There's 2 SATA cables and a molex to SATA power converter, but I doubt you'll need that.

All in all, you have a pretty solid build here.

Placed the order today. Thanks for the help. Hopefully I can put it all together by this weekend. I'll let you all know how it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom